Cakes And Icing Using Splenda

Baking By Sandy28 Updated 6 Jul 2010 , 1:38am by Karen421

Sandy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy28 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #1 of 11

I'm not sure if I'm in the right spot for this question but does anyone have a recipe for cakes or icing using splenda. My daughter has a friend that had gastric bypass surgery and he says he can only eat sweets using splenda. I wanted to make him something but I'm not sure where to begin.

10 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 11

splenda has alot of recipes on their site
http://www.splenda.com/

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #3 of 11

I don't have an answer to the Splenda question, but rather an alternate idea. Rather than a real cake, why not get a seedless watermelon and cut two rounds out of it, for example an 8 in and 6 inch round. Stack like a two tier cake. Then use oranges, lemon and/or lime slices cut in half to mimic a swag border, attached with cocktail toothpicks. Strawberries could be an accent between each swag. Grapes could be used as a bead border bottom. You could carve a short sentiment out of the green part of the watermelon rind for a topper which could be attached with a skewer or you could make flowers out of the lemons, limes, and/oranges. Lime peels could be the leaves, ets. Just let your imagination go from there.

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 11

I don't know about the splenda recipes, but I do know a couple of people whom have had the surgery. Oils bother them as well. maybe you can do a google seach about oils and fats.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 11

regymusic- that sounds awesome. I think I'll try to assemble your watermelon cake one of these days.

regymusic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regymusic Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:22am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

regymusic- that sounds awesome. I think I'll try to assemble your watermelon cake one of these days.

That's one of those ideas I have floating in the back of my mind forever, but never executed. If and/of when you do make one, I'd love for you to pm me a picture.

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:45am
post #7 of 11

Sandy,
I've used some recipes from the splenda website as I have relatives that has diabetes...the only thing with the icing using splenda is...it's too sweet. My cousins even told me that it's too sweet and I told them that it's Splenda. So, in that note, maybe use less of the splenda when making the icing. I haven't perfected making these type of cakes yet...maybe next time I will go more for the gluten free type of cake.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #8 of 11

I don't know how Splenda can say use it 1:1 ratio for sugar. It is way too sweet.

In full disclosure - DH works for company that makes the Splenda.

And after saying that I cannot eat Splenda at all. So be careful. It doesn't get this kind of reaction with everybody, but I get IBS like symptons when I eat the stuff, even the little bit of a half of a packet I used to use once a day in my morning coffee. It took a while to figure it out, but once I stopped eating the stuff my symptons went away. When I get to talking to people and they mention IBS symptons, I aslk them if they eat Splenda. I always get a yes. I then tell them my story.

Now we read every single label. If something is made with Splenda or sucralose, we do not buy it. None of my family members will even eat the stuff nor will I serve it. I don't want to take the risk. It''s a shame too because being an employee we can get it at an extremely reduced price. But even that is not enough of an incentive.

Sandy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sandy28 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 3:19pm
post #9 of 11

thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone it really helps....the watermellon cake's a great idea icon_biggrin.gif

ritterwoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ritterwoman Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:15am
post #10 of 11

LindaF144 Wow I have the same problem with Splenda. There is even a website http://splendasickness.blogspot.com/2006/03/gas.html that tells about people with problems with Splenda. Years ago after I had a hysterectomy I was eating yogurt that had Splenda in it and I was feeling pretty bad I thought it was post surgery related. Then I read about Splenda and stopped eating it and was fine. Well, last week I bought soda with splenda in it and thought well give it a try it has been 5 years. Big mistake. Same problems again.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 1:38am
post #11 of 11

First - LindaF144 that is such a great idea, especially for summer, I think I may give it a try! Second - Wow - I had no idea about splenda! My DD's best friend was just diagnosed with IBS at 22 and she has been dieting, I saved that website, and I am going to forward it to her. Thanks for the information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%