The Tartan Cake Y'all Helped Me With

Decorating By chellescountrycakes Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm by chellescountrycakes

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 5

well, I finally got it done. I wasnt able to make it perfect, BUT, I added other - non requested items that fit the theme- Hoping to make up for my total lack of ability.

Like I said earlier, Hubby was so agervated with it all that he bought me an airbrush- (SOOO not in the budget)- but with out much time I couldnt do much with it.

Anyway- here it is-

I balled up the 'tartan' and 'threw' it on the cake, the other side has the oak leaf, crowberry, and pine needles- that was badges that they wore, and then the top has the crest.

She had just asked for a sheet cake, covered in white fondant with the scarf draped across the top- But I wasnt able to deliver that.

Any critique is welcome, I know that my corners are NOT crisp- they look like hammered dog poo to be honest. But lately, my cakes are just falling apart- I cant crumb coat them for love or money...

and the scalloped strip was put to hide where the cakes went together, AND the fact that I CAN NOT fondant a 4 inch high square cake.. I always end up with a side fold like on wrapping a present... ?? I dont know what I'm doing wrong..
LL
LL
LL

4 replies
BrightDelights Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrightDelights Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 9:01pm
post #2 of 5

You did your best. You did a great job on the crest. Try to stay positive and chalk it up to a new experience.
But yay for a new airbrush!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:22am
post #3 of 5

Yes, you did your best! Looks good too! Keep on going and stay encouraged. We have all had cfakes that have given us trouble and still do. Everyone has been her at some point and time but, continue to do what you love,BAKE ON icon_smile.gif

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 5

I don't know if it's humid where you live but I've been having a lot of problems with the humidity and icing. Could that be the problem?

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 10:56pm
post #5 of 5

Thank y'all icon_smile.gif

and yes Rusti- Its so humid here you can wring the water out of the air!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%