Can Someone Talk Me Through This?

Decorating By kger Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 3:49am by kger

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:26am
post #1 of 5

I'm making a dalmatian cake for tomorrow, so I need to finish this up tonight. It's BC and I had intended to do fondant spots all over with a fbct on top.

FCBT looks great, fondant looks like crap. My satin ice red letters look fine, but the black "spots" are just a mess because I tried to color it myself, versus just buying some. Hence, they are covered with ps, crisco, and all dried and cracked.

It's 10:24pm, and I don't think my walmart has black fondant. I checked at one walmart today and they only had the primary colors and pastel colors. So... I think I'm going to have to pipe these suckers on.

Can someone talk me through this? Should I just stick on a #12 and blob them everywhere? Should I go with a #5 and pipe and outline and then fill? I'm so afraid it's going to be a mess.

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kger

the black "spots" are just a mess because I tried to color it myself, versus just buying some. Hence, they are covered with ps, crisco, and all dried and cracked.

So... I think I'm going to have to pipe these suckers on.

Should I just stick on a #12 and blob them everywhere? Should I go with a #5 and pipe and outline and then fill? I'm so afraid it's going to be a mess.

Sorry your black fondant is cracked, but how bad is it? If it's just crackled elephant skin, I'd think you could use them anyway (maybe the cracks will rub out with more Crisco). If they are also cracked on the edges, dried, and crumbling or falling apart, then I guess piping the spots is a good alternative. If you have to go that route, I'd try the #5 tip and fill in. It's easier to control and make more delicate than #12 blobs. I'd also recommend smoothing your spots with an angled spatula as well as you can... it would look more finished if your piping fill lines don't show. Good luck!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #3 of 5

If your black spots aren't too hard you might try kneeding it again adding a little bit of shortening. when you roll the black fondant spray your surface with Pam...no ps or cornstarch.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:14am
post #4 of 5

this might work. melt some of your black fondant w/ a little bit of water in the microwave. you want the consistency of elmer's glue. try painting that on to one of your spots. it might be enough to fill in the cracks and make it look more smooth.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:49am
post #5 of 5

The black fondant is a bust. It gave me hell last night, but I thought I could make it behave enough to give me some random spots, but alas, it was not meant to be.

So, I went with the 12 and I am smooshing with my finger. It gives it the random dalmation spot look, but I'm afraid it looks very "homemade."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%