Dowels Or No Dowels?

Decorating By Jeff1978 Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 2:25am by JenniferMI

Jeff1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff1978 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:55pm
post #1 of 11

Having never made a cake with fondant, you bet I have question! I want try a two tier really small cake and am wondering if I need to use dowels. The bottom cake will be 6x6 by 4 inches tall and the top cake will be 4 inch square. So do I need dowels for support? Also, I am really ambitious and going to make a bow of fondant. Once it is completely dry can I use clear vanilla to attach it to the top cake? Thank you for your help
Jeff

10 replies
Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 11

Absolutely put in dowels. Fondant adds weight and you don't want to crush that bottom tier, even with small tiers. Always better to have the support than go without and have trouble later on. I'd use BC or melted chocolate to attach your bow.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 11

anything more than one tier (more than 2 layes of cake) and it's a good idea to use dowels. I'd never do more than 2 layers of cakes without dowels or some kind of support system.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:15pm
post #4 of 11

Rule of thumb - for every 4" of vertical height, you must have support.

Jeff1978 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you guys so much! Now about sticking the bow to the fondant. What is the best way to do it. I read water or clear vanilla? It's gonna be gift box cakes. Can I use water to stick the fondant to the sides that looks like the ribbon wrapped around the box?

Jamielc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #6 of 11

Yes you could use water or clear vanilla to attach the "ribbon" to the side of the cake. I've used both. Piping gel is also another option. Make sure to post a picture when you're done! Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff1978 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of 11

I will post a picture even if it looks bad! Will clear vanilla work to attach my bow to the top?

Jamielc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:30am
post #8 of 11

How big is the bow? I would probably use some icing or melted chocolate in the same color as your bow, the vanilla might not be strong enough. Certainly can try though.

Jeff1978 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:42am
post #9 of 11

The bow is done in pieces and I'm going to piece it together on the top of the cake. A very simple bow that will be kind of flat and 4 in. round. I seen the bow on YouTube expertvillage

Jamielc Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:47am
post #10 of 11

I would still use icing to attach the bow to the cake, but that's my personal preference. Gives you more 'wiggle' room if you need to move your loops about til you get them where you want them. Best of luck!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #11 of 11

Always better to be safe than sorry. Dowel anything over one tier.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%