How Do I Keep My Cake Moist?

Decorating By HelloKathy Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 5:43am by mbark

HelloKathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HelloKathy Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:16am
post #1 of 7

I'm very new to baking cakes from scratch and after refrigerating them, it either turns out a bit mushy or hard. It's still eatable though, but how can I keep my cakes from drying out?

6 replies
Lorraine25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorraine25 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #2 of 7

Hi Kathy! if is buttercream iced cake you can store it in the refrigerator and take it our about 20-25 minutes before serving if its fondant keep it in a cool place and covered do not put in refrigerator or the condensation will form in the cake and damage the fondant hope this helps icon_wink.gif good luck!

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 7

Freeze them right after baking instead of refrigerating them. Freezing cakes keeps them moist and puting them in the refrigerator dries them out and makes them stale. Don't ask me why. icon_smile.gif

You can wrap them in cling wrap. Trust me, it works. thumbs_up.gif

Hope that helps.

Lorraine25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorraine25 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #4 of 7

Hi Kathy! if is buttercream iced cake you can store it in the refrigerator and take it our about 20-25 minutes before serving if its fondant keep it in a cool place and covered do not put in refrigerator or the condensation will form in the cake and damage the fondant hope this helps icon_wink.gif good luck!

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:37am
post #5 of 7

After you have cooled them in the pan, take your cake out and wrap it in saran wrap to finish cooling. Once I started doing that, I noticed a big difference in how moist my cakes are. All that heat/steam soaks back into your cake that way and keeps it moist.

I don't refrigerate my cakes either. Once I realized I didn't have to do that, my cakes were definitely more moist. I only refrigerate if I use some type of perishable filling, which I try to avoid.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:18am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria925

After you have cooled them in the pan, take your cake out and wrap it in saran wrap to finish cooling. Once I started doing that, I noticed a big difference in how moist my cakes are. All that heat/steam soaks back into your cake that way and keeps it moist.

I don't refrigerate my cakes either. Once I realized I didn't have to do that, my cakes were definitely more moist. I only refrigerate if I use some type of perishable filling, which I try to avoid.

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:43am
post #7 of 7

you can also use a simple syrup (water & sugar boiled mixture) & brush it on the cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%