Kitchenaid Mixer

Decorating By mhuerta Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm by mhuerta

mhuerta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhuerta Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 19

im off to buy one in the next hour so i need advice fast

is there really a big difference in size betweent the 4.5 and 5qt mixer im going to purchase the 5qt but is the 4.5 really that much smaller btw Macys is having 30% off plus additional 10% if anyone is interested

18 replies
Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:37pm
post #2 of 19

Go to Kitchenaid dot com and compare the two models you are considering, each has its own pros and cons. However if it was me, I'd go for the 5qt - wait, I did. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 19

I would definitely get the bigger one, especially if it's the one with the handle on the bowl.

I noticed you're in San Antonio too...I saw a KA Artisan, new in the box, on Craigslist for $200 today.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 19

Get the 5qt...it can easily handle a double batch of BC.

And marshmallow fondant...

And a TON of cupcake batter...

And ground beef for meetloaf, too.

Not all at the same time, mind you icon_biggrin.gif

Have fun!

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 19

The big one! And congratulations! That mixer will make your cake experience so much easier. icon_smile.gif

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 19

Check the wattage as well. KA has lowered their prices but have also reduced the wattage to 200 W down from 325 W. You want a higher wattage if you are going to make fondant and gumpaste. If it is not high enough you will burn out the motor.

mhuerta Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:34am
post #7 of 19

i just went ahead and got the 6qt mixer for a great price i got it 40% off of 400 so pretty good deal im soo excited to use it im going to make a cake tommorrow just to try it out lol

dozenredroses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dozenredroses Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #8 of 19

lol from 4.5 to 6! Congrats! What color did you get?

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:45am
post #9 of 19

Might want to measure the place you're going to store this mixer--the 5 qt is quite tall and will not fit under my cupboards. If that's not a problem, go for the larger one..

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #10 of 19

what color did you get?

dozenredroses Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACaketoRemember

i just went ahead and got the 6qt mixer for a great price i got it 40% off of 400 so pretty good deal im soo excited to use it im going to make a cake tommorrow just to try it out lol

I got my 4.5 15 years ago as a wedding present. You have inspired me to upgrade my kitchenaid.

Your 6 qt only cost $400 there? The 6 qt professional here is $500. I am going to Macy's today to see what they have in the store. online you only get teh 30% off but you get free shipping. icon_biggrin.gif

mhuerta Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #12 of 19

dozenredroses: total with taxes i paid 350 which is a pretty darn good deal considering it retails at 499.99 plus tax they are automatically 30% off but if you look online or in last sunday paper there is a 10% off coupon so i used it

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #13 of 19

Personally, I like the smaller models...the ones you can tilt the whole top of the mixer back.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

dozenredroses Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 19

I just picked up a 6Qt professional in Blue Steel! Love it!

Franluvsfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Franluvsfrosting Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 19

I used to have a 5 qt but upgraded to the 6 qt professional a couple of years ago and have not been sorry I did. I've filled that baby up a number of times. Doesn't hurt that my old one was plain old white and my new one is a beautiful copper pearl!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #16 of 19

I saw the 6 quart ones at Macy's last night. They are pretty cool. Congratulations.
Have fun making the cake.

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 5:13am
post #17 of 19

Ah! That's what I got was the 6qt. My husband bought it for me one year and I have no idea what he paid. I didn't realize they were so much! Bless him. Mine is the charcoal color. And oh. my. stars! It certainly does make cake baking MUCH easier! I had burnt up three regular mixers making icing before I got my kitchenaid. You are going to LOVE it. icon_smile.gif

RosieC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RosieC Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 1:44pm
post #18 of 19

I have the 4.5 and it's been great but I sure wish I had a 5 or 6 sometimes! Maybe next go round...say in 20-30 years! LOL

mhuerta Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #19 of 19

yes definetly love my new KA i also tried making indydebis buttercream yesterday for 4th of july cupcake and well let me just say it was a hit icon_smile.gif i have the Cocoa Chrome one i love the color its soo clean so thanks once again to everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%