How Do I Make A Stacked Book Cake?

Decorating By andreathecakelady Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 1:01am by Karen421

andreathecakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreathecakelady Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 2

I am making a cake for my sister in law's baby shower and it's a baby book theme. I would like to make a stacked book cake (probably 3 cakes or so). I am not sure how to go about making it and covering it. Please help!

1 reply
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 2

This is from another thread - I just complied it to make sense to me.
I wish I wrote down who the OP was but I am sorry I did not. I hope it helps you.

You'll need to start with a rectangle cake. A square with one side trimmed off for a true rectangle.- Level. - Place on cake board -glued down with a smear of icing. Torte and fill, then crumb coat and smooth. Make a slight indentation with the end of your spatula running down the left side of the cake so it would give it a grooved look - like a binding on a book. From here, some do pages first, and some go into cover/binding. It seemed as though the majority covered top/binding and then did the pages.

You can make the cake with a separate piece of fondant for bottom, top, binder, and pages. Or, with separate pieces for bottom (1/4 inch strips), top ,AND binder, and pages. Add a ton of tylose to fondant to get it to set. Let fondant set up a little before you put it on cake.

First, you'll have to measure the cake starting at the bottom of the binder to the top edge of the binder and then add about a 1/4 of an inch to that measurement. Go no more than 1/4 inch over the top edge of the cake or cover will droop. Prop up the corners with foil or viva for a while so they wont droop. Measure the cake then from side to side also adding about 1/4 of an inch. After that I rolled out a piece of fondant a little larger than the top of the book plus add the height of the spin of the book. So if your cake is 11X15X2 then your fondant should be about 13 1/2 X 15 . You can take a pair of scissors and trim around the edges if they stretch too much. Cut fondant. Lay the fondant down starting at the spine of the book and smooth so it is just barely wrapping under cake board. I used a putty knife to tuck the fondant under the spine of the book. Stack now, if youre stacking.

Pages made of white fondant -can be done one of two ways:

1) 3 different pieces - measure the height and length of each side adding about ¼ to the top and bottom piece, cut out each piece .Score with pizza cutter, ruler, or large knife, and make the pages by rolling the wheel on the fondant with just enough pressure to see, but not too much to cut through. Do that for all 3 pages. Brush a little water on the back of the fondant. Place the pages on the top, making sure it has 1/4 overhang, Then do the same for the bottom pages. After those are done, place the long side page on. There should be over hang at the top and bottom where they meet . Pinch the 2 corners together to make a squared edge look of the pages and/or take a tiny scissors and make small snips in it to look like actual pages. If you wish, you could make a small slit in the bottom part of the page and put in a real piece of satin ribbon. You can also make some post-its or book marks to stick out of the pages for an added touch. Paint with vanilla extract to give dimension, or paint with luster dust.

2) 1 long piece - Measure the height and length of all 3 sides adding about ¼ - ½. Cut one long piece to wrap around all 3 edges. Score with pizza cutter, ruler, or large knife, and make the pages by rolling the wheel on the fondant with just enough pressure to see, but not too much to cut through. Brush a little water on the back of the fondant. Place the pages starting on the top around the book - Pinch the corners to make a squared edge look of the pages and/or take a tiny scissors and make small snips in it to look like actual pages. If you wish, you could make a small slit in the bottom part of the page and put in a real piece of satin ribbon. You can also make some post-its or book marks to stick out of the pages for an added touch. Paint with vanilla extract to give dimension, or paint with luster dust.

The bottom "cover" is just strips ¼ wide and applied along the bottom (white) part of the pages. In the same fondant used for book cover, roll and cut 3 - ¼ to ½ x ¼ pieces to lay around the bottom of the book to look like the bottom cover. Pinch the edges to square them up. Tuck in carefully with the putty knife or use water on top of strip to glue it to the back cover and gently butt it up to the "pages" all around the bottom of cake. The bottom is false - roll thin "snake" of fondant and lay it around the bottom edge. It only looks like the fondant is under the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%