Help! My Fondant Is Melting And Running

Decorating By peggyl Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm by peggyl

peggyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggyl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 5

I'm fairly new to the decorating thing and even newer to fondant. I just put a cake covered in fondant in the freezer overnight and now it is tacky and the black from the zebra stripes is running into the white! I have it refridgerated now, but I'm afraid when I sit it out for the party, the same thing will happen! UGH! Any remedies? I appreciate any help you can give me> Thanks icon_cry.gif

4 replies
BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 5

I've never had this problem, maybe dusting with cornstarch would help.

There's a lot of debate on cc about refrigerating fondant covered cakes.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 5

Are your stripes painted or airbrushed? If so, the condensation will cause the coloring to run. When you put a cake in the fridge or freezer (or anything else for that matter), when it's taken out and left at room temp, condensation develops.

You probably wouldn't have had issues if it wasn't painted or airbrushed. You just leave it out to warm up and the tackiness will go away as the condensation evaporates. Some suggest leaving it in a box to cool or freeze, then leaving the cake in the box to reach room temp in order to help keep the condensation from forming on the cake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 5

Why did you put it in the freezer? Its okay to chill fondant cakes but you have to take alot of precautions when you freeze a completely decorated cake.

Sorry this happened...

peggyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peggyl Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 5

I don't actually know why I froze the cake! lol. I couldn't fit it in my fridge and didn't want to leave it sit out overnight due to recent heat wave where I live. I guess you live and you learn applies here! UGH! Well, Thanks everyone for trying to help....guess I'll try to clean up the runny lines as much as possible and then hope people want to cut it right away before they need a straw with it! haha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%