Ganache Under Fondant Question

Decorating By bunny520 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm by aswartzw

bunny520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunny520 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:56am
post #1 of 14

im planning on using white chocolate ganache under a fondant covered cake this summer. i had one question though: because it will probably be really hot (the reception is indoors at a banquet hall, but still, i have to transport it an hour and any humidity will still be in the room) do i need to worry about the heat/humidity making the ganache under the fondant getting soft? i just dont want it to un-harden and get runny and defeat the purpose of even using the ganache in the first place! so can i use it in the summer heat? im a little scared! thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

13 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:00am
post #2 of 14

It will soften in the heat especially white chocolate. I use semi sweet ganache under my fondant. Last weekend it was pretty warm we don't have a humidity problem on the west coast but it still softened. Didn't bother the fondant though everything stayed in place. Could you chill the cake before hand and transport in a cooler or a large box with some ice packs?

bunny520 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:21pm
post #3 of 14

ice packs are a good idea. im definitely gonna have the A/C pumping while im in the car with it. im just afraid that, if its a humid day, and they wait forever to cut it, it'll just start to slowly melt and weaken. i just dont want any disasters! i dont know if id want to use semi sweet since i think theyre gonna go with white cake and white icing. i wish i knew what the weather is gonna be like 3 weeks from now! thanks for your input!!

bunny520 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 14

also, im afraid to refrigerate it since its fondant. :/

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 14

I'm wondering if white chocolate will melt more depending on which white chocolate you use?

There is white chocolate that is made with cocoa butter and there is white chocolate that is made with other oil - like partially hydrogenated veggie oil - Merckens comes to mind.

I haven't tried this. But what if you use the white chocolate with cocoa butter in it? Cocoa butter is the fat that is in real chocolate, and there is no issue with it melting. So that may the solution. Ghirardelli is made with cocoa butter.

My daughter loves to point out to me that white chocolate is not real chocolate. She is right, but if it is made with cocoa butter then it is a close cousin. icon_wink.gif

I'm just thinking out loud here. It may be the same with either fat base. But I'm willing to guess that it is the fat base that makes or doesn't make it melt.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 14

If it's hot it will soften but the fondant will help protect it some. I chill my fondant cake all the time before delivery. It helps firm things up so I don't worry as much. If you are worried about condensation just let the cakes air dry without touching the fondant it will evaporate. As long as your fondant isn't a dark color you will be fine. I don't get condensation my fridge has humidity control and it works pretty well.

bunny520 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 14

thanks for the replies! yea, id DEFINITELY use a high quality white chocolate. none of that coating junk. im thinking it should be fine...unless its one of those super slimy days out. *fingers crossed!* :/

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 14

Would some sort of dry ice cooling system around the cake help?

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for the post...I have the same situation. Where does anyone suggest finding white chocolate..good quality? I have looked at Sam's and WalMart. I'm afaid to order due to heat. Any suggestions?

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:01pm
post #10 of 14

I don't know about white chocolate but dark chocolate melts @ 88 degrees F. I could be very wrong on this because it is just theory based on the aforementioned fact. It seems if the cake were kept cooler than 88 degrees then it would be ok. Does anyone know for sure. I have a cake to bake next week and was going to cover it in white chocolate ganache and transport it 2 hours for my granddaughter's birthday so I would appreciate knowing for sure.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:21pm
post #11 of 14

Refrigerate it, stick it in an already cool car, and you should be just fine. If you aren't already, I would invest in SPS. I would not trust dowels with the heat, distance, etc.

I wonder if you sub in just a bit of the candy coating if it would keep it more stable. Any ideas?

meharding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meharding Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 14

hmmm, I don't know. This will be my first try at the ganache. Poor child she will be an experiment. Thanks for the suggestion. I live in Florida and because of the storm in the Gulf it has rained here for days. I hope we get some sunshine and the humidity drops a little before I start covering the cake next week. Thanks for the suggestion icon_biggrin.gif

bunny520 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #13 of 14

im more worried about the fondant peeling off the melting ganache as opposed to the doweling. ive always used plastic dowels and they have always worked great for me. my cakes are dense and stable so thats not my worry. to find good quality white chocolate, you can get it at any grocery store/market, really. ghirardelli is a great brand. so is bakers. i figure the white choc ganache will be a safer bet than buttercream anyways so im not TOO worried. i guess im just looking for somebody to say "ive tried it in extreme heat and/or humidity and it worked just fine!" haha i know that person is out there somewhere....

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:12pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny520

im more worried about the fondant peeling off the melting ganache as opposed to the doweling. ive always used plastic dowels and they have always worked great for me. my cakes are dense and stable so thats not my worry. to find good quality white chocolate, you can get it at any grocery store/market, really. ghirardelli is a great brand. so is bakers. i figure the white choc ganache will be a safer bet than buttercream anyways so im not TOO worried. i guess im just looking for somebody to say "ive tried it in extreme heat and/or humidity and it worked just fine!" haha i know that person is out there somewhere....

The reason I suggested candy coating is because it doesn't melt as quickly in high heat as fine chocolates.

If the ganache softens, the fondant will still have something to stick to. I would not be concerned with this at all.

A Crisco based BC would be fine in the weather mentioned.

Also, I don't classify Bakers as a great brand of white chocolate. It's just not. If you're doing the ganache, the cheapest brand of white chocolate I would use is Ghiradelli. I bake with Bakers. I don't make ganache with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%