Bc Vs Mmf

Decorating By gavsgirl Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 6:52pm by mustangsallii

gavsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gavsgirl Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 8

I had posted previously about the cake I wanted to make for my sons birthday party. I was going to attempt it this weekend but had a sick baby so my plans got scrapped. In the meantime, I made a comment to a family member about wanting to use fondant and she made a face and went "why on earth would you do that, it's disgusting" I kind of shrugged it off and made a comment to my uncle who used to be a baker about how if he's around I might need his help with the fondant, he responds "oh gosh, don't use fondant, it's cake wallpaper!" So now I'm second guessing the whole MMF thing. I've never used it. I was doing it more for design aesthetic more than taste really. I guess I just had this vision in my head and didn't think it could be achieved without the use of fondant as a cover. I want two tiers with fondant (or gum-paste, haven't decided which would work best) cut-outs of characters around the sides and a RKT character on top. Would BC hold up to that? I was under the impression that BC never really gets hard enough to stand up to any type of decoration with weight to it. I'm totally knew to this so I'm not sure what would be best for that type of cake. Suggestions are appreciated! If you do suggest BC, what is your favorite recipe?

Thanks in advance!

7 replies
mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 8

I make homemade MMF and have converted a lot of people to prefer it over just plain buttercream. I believe most people have tasted store bought fondant (which tastes like glue to me) and/or have preconceived notions about what they think it tastes like. If you want to do a fondant cake with mmf then go for it! I had to force my family to eat fondant a few couple years ago, but now I can't make a cake without it!

Oh, and I wouldn't try putting a bunch of heavy embellishments on bc. Small things would be fine though.

tmelrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmelrose Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 8

Yes you can add fondant figures to a bc iced cakes. If they're heaving figures, just make sure your cake is a sturdy one. Sugarshack and Indydebi's bc recipes are very popular here. I have yet to try them. Maybe to try and introduce family to fondant make a small side cake covered so they can give it a try. I personally love MFF (Michele Foster's fondant). I like it better than MMF. But that's just me. Maybe the ney sayers are just used to the Wilton stuff. But saying all that my family prefers just a good ole bc iced cake over fondant anyday. Good luck!

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 8

IF you decide to try BC, it can be done. Here is a link to a cake I did with some heavy fondant side panels attached to a BC cake. This cake also traveled 60 miles to the party site. (You might have to click on one of the smaller pix to see the side panels.) I used Indydebi's BC recipe.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1525577

Here's a link to Indydebi's recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Whatever you decide, don't stress out about it. Just make the cake you want to make for your son. And, just maybe, if your family tries the fondant, they may like it.

Jamielc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jamielc Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:14am
post #5 of 8

I don't use fondant on all my cakes, but for those that don't like the taste, I tell them to just not eat it and that I won't be offended. Fondant makes for a much cleaner looking cake, in my opinion. I also only cover my cakes in homemade marshmallow fondant. Experiment with different extracts to compliment your cake. =)

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:49am
post #6 of 8

My MMF has converted my family/friends to fondant. They always said they hated it, it tasted terrible...etc. THEN they had my vanilla MMF and now brag to people about how wonderful it is. Freshly made fondant is SOOOO good...I say make them all converts!

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 8

Honestly, my family prefers plain ole buttercream but they do like my MMF. I am new to the whole fondant thing but I learned how to make the MMF from home instead of buying it. My kids love it!!

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:52pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by michel30014

Honestly, my family prefers plain ole buttercream but they do like my MMF. I am new to the whole fondant thing but I learned how to make the MMF from home instead of buying it. My kids love it!!

I have to make my 2 yr old little MMF balls with scraps. He loves to get a baggie of them and pop them in his mouth like candy! They're a hit, so now I always make a baggie of them if I'm delivering a kid's cake and take them along. The MMF balls distract the children from the dreaded finger in the icing. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%