Question About Pricing...

Baking By Michelle104 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 3:40am by Dreme

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:46pm
post #1 of 6

We just started doing decorated cookies at the shop and I was wondering what sort of system you all use for your pricing levels for your cookies? I figured we'd start at 2.50 and go up from there, but do you go by the intricacy of the design or the size of the cookie or both?? Of course they all take me longer than you guys because I'm just getting my feet wet with this medium. Thanks so much! icon_lol.gif

5 replies
Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 6

I am surely no professional, but from looking at your other work, you could pretty much charge $5 each, and I'd buy them. Your work on other things is great, and you can tell that you'd bring a very detailed, professional look to them. Just my opinion. Good luck with them!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 6

This is a difficult subject. I know several on here will tell you $1 per inch. I personally cannot see doing that. People in my town would laugh. I have been charging $2 a cookie. (and sometimes they still decline) They're bigger than 2 inches. Usually 3- 1/2" or somewhere around that. Sometimes I do a variety and there will be smaller ones and bigger ones in the mix. I just feel like it evens out. I feel I make a much better profit on cookies than cakes. Now, I don't do the outline, flood, decorate, wait-hours-between-steps kind of cookies. I have-- the corset cookies in my photos is an example. I prefer the taste of a softer cookie with fondant and buttercream. And they're much quicker! Everyone on here will give you a different opinion, but only you can decide what it's worth to you, what your local market will bear, how busy you want to be, and how much money you've spent. I wish you the best icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 6

Do a search and find out where the closest Cookies by Design is by you. They charge WAY more than $1/inch AND they charge for the container AND they charge for delivery.

One lady paid over $100 for a HUGE bouquet of cookies from me and said her friends loved them but "....they were shocked at the price!" I told her "Then tell them never to buy at C by D, then, because my pricing is 25% cheaper than theirs."

In the words of comedian Ron White, "That'll shut her up!" icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 6

LOL DEBI!!! That's exactly what I did first before posting on here and it flabbergasted me!! They charge 7.25 in our area!!! That's when I decided to ask the "REAL" experts! icon_lol.gif I'm still tryin to figure this out! Thanks guys for the input AND the compliments!!

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #6 of 6

People laughed at my prices at first, but then too they weren't my clientele. I do fondant covered cookies.

To me $7.25 is not ridiculous for a cookie if its worth it. I start at $4 per cookie for a basic design and can run up to $15 for a over the top, 5"-8", intricate cookie packaged in a velvet lined box or something else nice. Its up to the client how elaborate they want to get. For me pricing depends more so on both intricacy and size, with intricacy being more the factor. A 3" cookie can take as long as some 6" or larger cookies. Some cookies can take up to an hour to do so I charge more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%