Edible Printer

Decorating By JennasNonna Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 2:20am by icingimages

JennasNonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennasNonna Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 3

Hi
I am thinking a buying a printer to make edible images. Anyone with out there tell me if there is one brand/model better than others. Can I use a printer we no longer use at home to make edible images if I purchase the appropriate cartridges or should I purchase a new one and keep it only for baking? Thanks so much

2 replies
cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:50am
post #2 of 3

Kopykake dot com has a lot of good information on what printers to buy and they have the supplies. When I decided to get one, I bought a new epson printer from staples for like $70 and got my supplies from kopykake. I would highly recommend getting a new printer thats never been used and only use it for baking. A used printer most likely will still have ink residue.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:20am
post #3 of 3

Hi! You must use a new, never before used printer. I have been using edible printers for over 10 years and consistantly looking for newer better ways to print. I have found that the two top choices are the Canon and the Epson. Though I use both, I do side with the Canon because of the removable printhead. The only exception is for wide format printing, I side with the Epson 1100. I dont like other Epsons as they seem to be finicky and dont seem to hold up well. I wish Canon had a better wide format, but their current models use a too many cartirdges, increasing the chances for something to go wrong and it makes for an expensive print. I firmly beleive the ink is what really is the biggest factor of success or failure. In th e last year or so, I started using a new type of ink/cartridge. The Gold Label Inks have really renewed the edible printing industry. I use them in both the Canons and the certain Epsons and the colors are amazing. The cartridges themselves are spongeless and hold more ink than similar sponged cartridges plus the colors are amazing. Plus they are the only cartridges that use food grade plastics in the cartridges.

The company you work with are the next important factor. You want to go with a company who is there for you when you have questions, but you should look for a knowledgeable company looks out for your best interests.

The icing sheets are also very important. There are three types of icing sheets. The thinnest and most sensitive to humdity and dryness is Kopykakes brand and Icing Images House Brand. Many people like this brand because it is thin, but depending on where you live, if it is too humid, it may stick to the backing and be difficult to remove or on the other side of the spectrum is if it is dry, the icing sheets can become brittle. Lucks is the second major type that is out there. It is a little bit thicker, though it still can be effected by the dryness and you must be careful to keep the bag sealed, it seems to stand up pretty well. The third type and the newest to the industry is Icing Images Premium Icing SHeets. It is the thickest of the three, has the largest printable area, tastes great and is seldom effected by the environment.

I hope this is helpful to you and I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%