How Do You Make Maroon Color?

Decorating By iris219 Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 12:33pm by LEHLA

iris219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iris219 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #1 of 8

I need to make a graduation cake for this weekend and need to make maroon buttercream and maroon fondant (school colors). I don't know how to get the buttercream and fondant color to match?

I'm making the bottom part of the grad hat (round part) out of buttercream and the flat top part of the hat will be cake board covered in fondant.

Can you help me?

7 replies
Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #2 of 8

I was recently going for a red color, and ended up with what I thought was more of a maroon color for my parents' 40th anniversary cake. The pic is in my photos. If you think this is the color you're shooting for, I used a little bit of black and rose mixed with primarily no-taste red, all Wilton gel paste. Best of luck!

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:21am
post #3 of 8

red + purple= maroon

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 5:38am
post #4 of 8

Yes red + purple. If color too light, add a touch of black (coloring). If too dark, add a touch of white (buttercream)

iris219 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 8

I used burgundy and it came out great there is a picture of the graduation cake i did in my pics icon_smile.gif

iris219 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHLA

I used burgundy and it came out great there is a picture of the graduation cake i did in my pics icon_smile.gif

I want to get the same color for the buttercream and the fondant. Did you use the Wilton Burgendy color?

I went to get some at Michael's just now and they didn't have any.

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:33pm
post #8 of 8

yes i used it on both the fondant and buttercreme i had to use alot int the buttercreme icing to get the right color

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%