Attaching Pvc Pipe To Cake Board?

Decorating By cakeshopok Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm by cakeshopok

cakeshopok Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 7

Can someone refresh my memory on how to attach a PVC pipe to a plywood cake board? I know it attaches underneath, but I can't remember with what. I need it as the center support for a large sculpted cake. The cake tiers will slide down over the PVC and then carved. Thank you so much for anyone's help.

Claudia (cakeshopok)

6 replies
mayo2222 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 7

A flange???

peg818 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 7

there is a flange thingy that attaches to the board. Go to the hardware store it should be in one of the little odds and ends type boxes right with the pvc piping. it looks like a circle with a rim with holes that the screws fit into. The circle part will be raised up about an inch

cattycornercakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 7

PVC pipe works differently than metal. There are no threads or screws. PVC pipe is attached to other pipes and fittings using a special glue. Looking at the options on the Lowes website, I'm thinking you could probably buy a PVC cap, drill a hold in the middle down through the board and secure it to the board with a flat head screw and nut. Then you can attach the PVC pipe to the cap using the glue and go from there.

cattycornercakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 7

Sorry..Peg is right. You can use the PVC flange and secure it to the board with screws and nuts.

thecakeprincess Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

Good info for future reference!

cakeshopok Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate it the info. I'll post a picture of the cake when I get it done. It's going to be a big clown, based on one I saw Bronwen demonstrate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%