Outdoor Wedding...fondant Or Ri Flowers?

Decorating By Joybeth Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm by LuluSweetArt

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:52pm
post #1 of 7

I have been asked to do a pretty simple wedding cake for an outdoor wedding. The reception will be about 11:00. She want flowers around the base of the cake. Should I make them in Royal Icing or fondant? Would they melt if RI? Or would the fondant go limp? Its a buttercream iced cake.
Thanks,

6 replies
Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #2 of 7

I don't have much advice. The only thing I can think of is....if you put the cake in the fridge with the flowers on and then take it out before the wedding you will most likely have a problem with condensation on the cake and flowers and then the condensation causing the flowers to "wilt".

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 7

Definitely gumpaste flowers. And buy them as they will be quite dry and very hard.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 7

I TOTALLY agree with leah.....go for the premade gumpaste.......there is nothing HARDER or sturdier on the planet! lol

Joybeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joybeth Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:39pm
post #5 of 7

Ok great! And I don't refrigerate my cakes so that won't be a problem. Now the problem is figuring out how to match the teal and peach..lol...Thanks everyone!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 7

dusts, airbrush paint, heck you can purchase a lot of flowers pre-colored. www.avalon deco .com

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 7

I agree with Leah, buy the pre-made gumpaste flowers, they will definately hold up the best against the heat. I would buy all white flowers and then use luster/petal dusts to color them myself. That way you can guarantee a good color match. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%