Black Fondant For Rockband Cake

Baking By jaynepickle Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 2:45am by MJTKNT

jaynepickle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaynepickle Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #1 of 8

I am making a gender reveal cake for when my husband returns from deploment and have baked four 6" rounds to create the "drums" from the video game Rockband. We don't eat fondant, the texture is nasty to us, so i don't really care how it tastes, BUT i do need to create a deep black fondant that will not fall apart. I made MMF a deep blue and red on one occasion and it turned out horrible! the color was great, but it wouldn't roll out and kept falling apart no matter how much powdered sugar/crisco/water i added... i tried saving that junk forever! Anyways, i would just order it, but my DH is coming home on saturday and i don't have time to wait for it to be shipped. Is it possible to "paint" black coloring onto a chocolate fondant? The drums are entirely black with just a few stripes of color around the top (i already have that part done) so i need to make a large batch of black fondant. any help/advice/recipes would be greatly appreciated!!! TIA!!!

7 replies
cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:21am
post #2 of 8

Yes...you can paint the fondant. I painted the lady bug cake in my photos.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:22am
post #3 of 8

I always use chocolate fondant (premade by Golda's) and tint it black, works very well! I've also painted white fondant black with a mixture of black coloring gel and vanilla and had great results- that may work well for you since it's ok for drums to be shiny.

Hope that helps!!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:24am
post #4 of 8

Do you have a Michael's nearby? Duff's black fondant is really nice to work with. I blended it with a little gumpaste to make it a little stiffer and my cutouts worked like a charm. Don't forget to use a Michael's coupon (and they will accept AC Moore coupons as well) to save 40 or 50%.

HTH's
Pam

jaynepickle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaynepickle Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 1:57am
post #5 of 8

thank you ladies!!!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:06am
post #6 of 8

what is a gender reveal? I haven't heard that term before.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:34am
post #7 of 8

I make MFF and when it is in the gelatin stage yet I add Black powder color to it. Almost 1/2 jar. It turns it a nice black without changing the consistency (sp).

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:45am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realLaLa

what is a gender reveal? I haven't heard that term before.

Maybe she's preggers and knows the sex, but DH has been out of the country and she hasn't told him yet and is using a cake to reveal it?

Anyway- I have to jump on board with making choc. MMF and then going black from there. It takes much less food coloring and it actually goes black instead of purple!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%