Would This Work????

Baking By KATHIESKREATIONS Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm by KATHIESKREATIONS

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 5

Hi! I would like to do a cake with blue & red cake. Can I use DH White cake mix....add 4 whole eggs (instead of 3 egg whites)1 cup sour cream and a box of cherry jello for the red color to this mix. the 1 1/3 cups of water & the 2 TBS of oil or just follow the directions on the box? Does someone have a better idea? I don't want this to be a cake diaster & I have never used the WHITE cake mix. Any help right about now would be very much appreciated.......

4 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 5

If you use cherry jello then you'll get a cherry flavored cake and I think it'll be pink.

Mix your batter then seperate batter into two batches and color with Americolor red or wilton no taste red and blue for the other.

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 5

You want to make sure the batter is slightly dark because too light your colors will fade out when baked. Add color then stir real good with plastic spoons add color a little more at a time' as needed. Way too much color (dark colors) will give your cakes that bitter taste.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 5

Here is a thread for extended cake mix variations that use sour cream or yogurt.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614554-.html

If you add whole eggs and sour cream, you will get a dense, flat cake - too much fat. When you convert egg whites to whole eggs, you need to use fewer eggs. The extra sugar from the jello will make it worse.

KATHIESKREATIONS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATHIESKREATIONS Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, Yummy & TNTFundraiser! I just had never used the WHITE Duncan Hine's cake mix & was really not sure about how to doctor it up to be a better cake. Gald I didn't do what I had planned or I surely would have had a diaster on my hands! icon_surprised.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%