Can I Stack With Any Kind Of Cake?

Baking By _beckett_ Updated 13 May 2011 , 4:24pm by paula0712

_beckett_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_beckett_ Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:27am
post #1 of 9

I've been reading on this site that you should use a pound cake if you are stacking? If I'm stacking 4 tiers, top only being a 6", should my bottom layer be a pound cake and the other layers be the requested almond joy and tuxedo flavors? Does it really matter if I am using bubble straws as support? I'm trying to avoid telling a bride I can't do anything but a pound cake. icon_surprised.gif

8 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 9

cake doesn't support cake, your dowels (or straws) and plates suppor the upper layers. So to answer your questions, yes you can use any kind of cake (even angelfood would work for a tierd cake since the cake is not supporting the upper tiers)

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:45am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

cake doesn't support cake, your dowels (or straws) and plates suppor the upper layers. So to answer your questions, yes you can use any kind of cake (even angelfood would work for a tierd cake since the cake is not supporting the upper tiers)

TOTALLY agree! Pound cake is nice for carved cakes, but tiered cakes can be made out of any type of cake! Take that order!

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:54am
post #4 of 9

im glad you asked that..cus i put alot of pudding in my cakes and i always wondered if it was ok to stack a cake with those...so you cant carve with a pudding cake??just pound cake??i was hoping i could use a choco pudding cake but just freeze it and carve it that way

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:59am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsobubbley

im glad you asked that..cus i put alot of pudding in my cakes and i always wondered if it was ok to stack a cake with those...so you cant carve with a pudding cake??just pound cake??i was hoping i could use a choco pudding cake but just freeze it and carve it that way

Sorry, I didn't mean you could only carve with a pound cake. Though they are generally a nice type to use. You can use many different types of cake really, there are many on here who use just a straight box mix cake. The denser the cake and the tighter the crumb, the easier it is to carve. It does need to hold together nicely though, a sturdy recipe that will stand up to being carved and shaped, then covered in fondant...

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:02am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leily

Ditto thumbs_up.gif I believe it was Collette Peters that said "you can stack jello with the right support system". I probably didn't get her quote exactly as she said it but you get the idea. icon_wink.gif

Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:06am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetailsByDawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsobubbley

Sorry, I didn't mean you could only carve with a pound cake. Though they are generally a nice type to use. You can use any cake really, there are many on here who use just a straight box mix cake. The denser the cake and the tighter the crumb, the easier it is to carve.

ooohh..thanks so much!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 5:13am
post #8 of 9

yes, you can carve and stack cakes with pudding in them. One of most talented c/cers, sharon zambito, uses puddings in her cakes. All of her dvd's ,etc. shows this. She makes the most beautiful cakes that you will see here on c/c. There's lots of others too, but she is one of them, that i praise continually.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 13 May 2011 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 9

I was also wondering this: for the last 5 tiered cakes I did, I used box cake mixes with the right stacking support. Lately I've read in a few different sites that box mixes shouldn't be used for tiered cakes especially if fondant covered. Is is still true that as long as the correct support system is in place, you can use fondant covered box mix cakes? The ones I did seemed fine, but I'm starting to 2nd guess myself...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%