My Fondant Is Crumbling!

Decorating By MJTKNT Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm by cake-angel

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 6

What do I do? My MMF is crumbling! It was really nice until I colored it red. It took quite a bit of gel to get it to the tint I needed, and now it's just falling apart. I let it rest overnight. Any ideas how to fix it? Please help!!

5 replies
sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 6

I have had the same problem in the past when trying to color red or black. Someone told me to use candy colors when trying to achieve dark colors. Maybe the oil in the candy colors helps. Have you tried kneading in a little shortening?

staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know how to fix it but I always have the same problem when trying to colour fondant a dark colour. It's like the food colouring breaks it down. I buy all my red and black fondant precoloured now though. I use Satin Ice. I am from Canada and get it from www.goldaskitchen.com

MJTKNT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJTKNT Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 6

Tried crisco. No help. Maybe it needs more marshmallows? Its like it can't stick itself together.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 6

Try a little dab of corn syrup and see if that helps.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #6 of 6

Suprisingly enough - I found - last time I made red that kneading in extra powdered sugar helped a lot. My theory is the extra glycerin in the gel colors actually softens and "breaks down" the fondant without making it sticky. Adding Powdered sugar brought it back together enough to cover my ball cakes (christmas ornaments).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%