Baking An 18 Inch Cake Questions.

Baking By jeepfreak33 Updated 24 May 2015 , 6:38pm by -K8memphis

jeepfreak33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeepfreak33 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 11

I friend of mine asked me to bake a cake for her....she supplied the ingredients....cake mixes and eggs.... and a giant cake pan..

It is 18 " across.... I have never backed one that big before.....so how do I keep it from burning at the edges while the middle is cooking? Rose nails, bake even strips, baking cones..? which ones...or all of the above?

It is bad enough I have to borrow someone elses oven since the darn pan wont fit into my oven.

Plus how many mixes will it take....and should I make two layers....?

10 replies
BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #2 of 11

I would definately use a flower nail and I would cook it at 325 - cook it slow. thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 11

Man I'd bake it no higher than 300. For an 18" round I use half pans.

jeepfreak33 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 11

its not my pan....she brought it over for me to use..... its for my friends parents wedding anniversary...she was going to make it herself but doesnt have the time.... I had no idea how LARGE the pan was until she brought it over. icon_eek.gif

jeepfreak33 Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 11

Update....I borrowed an oven......bought a baking cone...... used 3 rose nails and one baking cone.....3 boxes of cake mix (that is what they wanted)....chocolate cake mixes too...... 300 degrees...and just over an hour...and it came out perfectly..... I am sooooooo shocked...... and happy too.

That cake plus my half sheet cake (takes 2 mixes)...they are going to be eating cakes for a while I think....lol

I took the advantage and made the sheet cake a rainbow cake....looked good...will have to wait until they cut it to see how well I did..... plus I dirty iced for the first time both cakes...

I did pretty well today.....didnt stress out or anything.....

Now I just have to wait to see what my daughter will want for her birthday in July...

Janretha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janretha Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 3:22am
post #6 of 11

How would you know how much mix when making a pound cake from scratch for a large pan.

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 2:27pm
post #7 of 11

you would need to know how many cups of batter your recipe makes first off. I believe there is a chart here on cc for how many cups for each pan size. if you can't find it here - the wilton website has it too.

froufroucakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froufroucakes Posted 24 May 2015 , 1:28pm
post #8 of 11

I am also having to bake an 18" cake (and find an oven to fit the pan!) so I'm taking notes on what you've done for the perfect cake. :o)  However, I've never heard of a baking cone..... what is it?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2015 , 6:26pm
post #9 of 11

like costumeczar mentioned get a half 18" pan -- that would be a lot easier on several levels but cut the size out and see if it fits in your oven -- i've baked them in my home ovens before --

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cake-pan-half-round-18-inches-by-fat-daddio-39-p-21931.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw7YWrBRCThIyogcGymQsSJAAmz_ndwZXJBeEA_Q9Ez3VMuFoYQZduB52rSijLlkeyTjyiZBoCmbPw_wcB&gdftrk=gdfV25706_a_7c2149_a_7c8856_a_7c21931

-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2015 , 6:32pm
post #10 of 11

and it's the "wilton wedding cake data chart"

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

and fwiw -- don't use the google images for this ^^^ only go to the wilton site because some of these images are jacked up 

here is a baking core:

http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=8976&trng=fgle&gclid=CjwKEAjw7YWrBRCThIyogcGymQsSJAAmz_ndF-3tUK_h5mcQxvfSg6aOWgovkS-wFclTl5STNUr-kRoCnt_w_wcB#.VWIYYk9Viko

and for free here i will throw in the cakulator -- it's just mostly a blank page with a couple columns of numbers -- just check off your cake sizes and it will cakulate how many servings in varying choices

http://capitalconfectioners.com/cakulator/cakulator.html

best baking to y'all of big poppa bear cakes

-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2015 , 6:38pm
post #11 of 11

and when you check to see if the 18" half pan will fit -- watch out where your oven racks curve up & stuff -- needs to sit flat on the rack somehow -- at an angle of course but just saying -- the template will fit in the standard 30" home oven but it needs to sit flat on the rack before you shell out for it --

best baking and best everything else too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%