Two-Toned Fondant Cakes??

Decorating By servingzero Updated 28 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm by bobwonderbuns

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 13

Hi,
I've been perplexed with those cakes that are fondant, and look like they have two completely different colours of fondant coming together, with a decorative seam. Is it just an illusion? Is it just an overlay of a very thin layer of fondant on top in a decorative manner? They just tend to look like it's all one thickness...
This is what I mean... a link to Planet cake's fb page http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=4773604&id=22942151259

How do you do it??

12 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 13

I would like to know this also. I'm going to check you tube.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:39pm
post #3 of 13

I just uploaded a cake like this yesterday.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1718404

I covered the sides of the cake in green fondant but not the top of the cake, sort of like a strip of green all the way around. Then I put the white fondant on top of that. The white fondant actually had to be kind of thick, not thinner, to hide any seams from the fondant underneath. Then I put the decorative border, but you don't have to do that part.

There may be another way to do it but that's how I did mine.

servingzero Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 13

Okay, do you cut the white fondant after applying it?? that's the part that's really perplexing me. How to get them to fit together perfectly...

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by servingzero

Okay, do you cut the white fondant after applying it?? that's the part that's really perplexing me. How to get them to fit together perfectly...

That's my question too. Please do tell.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 13

for the ones OP posted ...

simple --

the top color over the whole tier.

then a shaped ribbon of the bottom color

ribbon would be as long as tier is round (circumference = PI * diameter, tho' measure for best results)

ribbon would be as tall as the tier is (height - measure) at its MIDPOINT) and then taper out from there to ends.

It would look like a wide, squat triangle.

apply and cover joint with decorative border and in this case flowers at highpoint and the joint at the bottom point.

diagram is general idea. (to scale of a 10" diameter cake with a 31.4 in band of fondant)
LL

servingzero Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 7:28pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks Doug... that's what I was thinking, they always look so perfect though I thought there might be more to it. especially since they always look like it's all one thickness. I guess the decorative border just disguises that they aren't

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:39am
post #8 of 13

Thanks for the explanation on the way those cakes from the OP's picture were done.

On my cake, there is no meeting of the fondant. The whole side of the cake is covered in green fondant. Then the white is put on top of that. It may have the illusion of the fondant being the same thickness but in reality, the white fondant is layered over the green and is thicker. The decorative border hides the fact that one is on top of the other. I hope this describes it a little better.

servingzero Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 13

That does describe it perfectly, thanks!! I was clearly just thinking too complex about it haha icon_smile.gif I do tend to make things more difficult than they need to be! I love yours, btw, kathysCC. It looks perfect!

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:44pm
post #10 of 13

I made one cake using a method similar to what Doug described,
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1467309
AND one SORTA similar to what KathysCC described.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1617215

Except with the pink and brown cake, I just covered the whole cake in chocolate fondant and added a pink cap to it.

Between the two methods, I found the cap method to be easier. Wrapping the band around the bottom of the cake tended to have a bit of stretching.

HTH!

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks Doug!!!

4realLaLa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4realLaLa Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:27pm
post #12 of 13

This is just what I needed. Doug thanks for posting the diagram.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Sep 2010 , 11:46pm
post #13 of 13

Oh wow, this is the second thread I found on this topic in just a few minutes!! icon_lol.gif Cool! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%