leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 17

Anyone been? What's it like?

16 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 17

My mother actually used to work in one.

You definitely won't get "buff" working out there. It's a low impact circuit based work out program (i think that's what it's called). But it's a good place to get back into the swing of things or to just stay active.

I don't know anything about how much it costs though. Because my mother used to work there we got to work out for free.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 17

My sister tried it for a while. Like the PP said, it's good if you haven't been on an exercise program at all or in a while and want to get back into a routine, but she got bored with it after a couple of months. I think the way it's designed too is to make it a more social environment so if you want to really focus on your work out it might not be the best option. On the other hand, she did like that it was all women and lots of them were "regular shaped" (as she put it). She felt like that was less intimidating than a regular gym.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 3:56am
post #4 of 17

I tried it for a while, but it does get very boring. Basically it's set up as a circuit of exercise machines, and you move around them in a set order after being on each for a certain amount of time (2 minutes?). There's music that plays and a voice tells you when to move on. The idea is that you're in and out in 30 mins, so it's meant to be very accessible to women who are in a rush.

I became very bored, and struggled not to strangle the yummy-mummies who would talk SO LOUD throughout their workouts! I stopped going after a couple of months, deciding that walking my dog was better exercise. Definitely agree that it's an unintimidating way to start working out since there are 'real' women there, not just hardbodies.

They'll probably let you do a trial if you're thinking seriously of joining.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:38am
post #5 of 17

My sister used to work at one and her friends mother owns one here in central California.

They had a very big dropout rate, people got bored with it very quickly.

Most of the people that stayed with it used it as more of a social "get-together" place, my sister used to tell me how the regulars that went there would go there frst as a meeting place then go to starbucks or Marie Callanders for coffee and pie afterward. Hhahahhahah at least they were working off the pie.

Here it is mostly larger women over the age of 40 whos Dr's have told them they need to start getting some exercize because they are too sedentary, and don't want to join one of the intimidating Gym's.

I am 38 and "chunky" and I wont set foot in the 24 hour fitness type Gym's. Way too competitive for me, But curves was too slow. I started a yoga group with some friends my age , and got a treadmill . I find that I will exersize more if I don't have to go somewhere to do it. Can't use the "I don't have time" excuse if the treadmill is in the other room, even if its just 20 minutes in the morning.

Curves is good for some people just don't expect an intense workout or a lot of weight loss if you already have a non- sedentary lifestyle.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 6:59am
post #6 of 17

I prefer the gym because I don't like switching machines every two minutes. For some reason this just really annoyed me. Other than that it's okau.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 8:50am
post #7 of 17

I did it for a while with a gf. It was frustrating for us. The owner did not instruct in the proper use of each machine--from what we read it really will work if correct posture and technique is used. The owner also did not keep things moving. There is taped music played with a signal for changing to the next machine--there were people who refused to change and it would end up like a bad traffic jam or we'd have to skip machines all together to keep up the pace.

I wouldn't do it again--even if I was guaranteed a great instructor -- I certainly didn't see any results except the shriking of my bank account.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #8 of 17

I work as a fitness trainer and have for many years. Curves is meant for those who have never worked out before or haven't in a very long time. Usually, with in about 3 - 6 months people move on from Curves and go to a different gym. It does have a place in the fitness world and some people have success with it. I personally don't think they have enough qualified staff. I know 2 people who own Curves location and no one in either one has a fitness background. The owners never even worked out before, just started the businesses to make money, and they are hand over fist. I'm sure not all locations are like that though.
Anyone can jump on a machine to work out, but without proper form your wasting your time. If you do go to one ask them about your arm placement, speed of movement when working the machine, breathing and any questions. They should be able to answer them right away without hesitation.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 10:52pm
post #9 of 17

I really liked the one in our area. I went every morning after I dropped my kids off at school and did it for about 4 years. (I should go back!) It did not help me lose weight I had to do that on my own, but because of curves - I was toned and didn't have the "flap" that came with the weight loss, so I was able to wear that smaller sizer!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 17

Before I moved here (Ohio) I went to a curves for 6 months (lost 60 pounds in those 6 months too) wasn't exercising AT ALL outside of curves, but I went faithfully Mon, Wed, Fri every week....they say to go around the circuit 3 times (at least at mine, 1 trip around was about 10 min.) but once I got used to it, I used to stay and go around 6 times....I really enjoyed it. I wish they'd get one near where I live now!! Not to mention it was great to get out of the house for an hr. without the kids! lol

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #11 of 17

i tried the free week trial. It was too impactual on the knees, and they really dont explain the proper way to use any of the equipment. but that could have just been the one here.

make sure you ask about the free trial visits. thumbs_up.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:56pm
post #12 of 17

I went for almost a year right before I started decorating cakes - which put an end to all my free time.

I had to drive 8 miles there and then home after work 3 to 4 times a week to do it - but I did love it and I did lose weight and I definitely toned up. The instructor was very helpful and if you were too busy talking and let your arms drop from where they should be - she would tell you - which is what she is suppose to do.

My mom also started going and she has rheumatoid arthritis and a variety of foot problems - and the owner helped mom figure out what machines she should use and which ones to avoid or an easier less extensive way to use certain machines.

We both felt better after attending.

It can be social - but it can also be a place you go 'to get away' from everything too. I loved going in and leaving my cell phone in the car and having an hour away from the real world.

This curves closed shortly after I quit attending . . . I despise gym where people are grunting and throwing sweat on their neighbors!

Try it - you might really like it. They are always running specials for new members to join cheaply.

Suze

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:48am
post #13 of 17
rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 17

I used to go and I loved it especially when I was pregnant with DD. The owners made it a lot of fun and the ladies that used to go at the same time as me were older so they would ooh and aah over me and my belly. LOL I wish there was one closer to me as I really can't spend any longer than 30 minutes at a gym. We used to have hula days, dress in pink day (breast cancer), 50/50 raffles, member of the month contests. It served as my little hangout place. lol

But yes, it is meant for people that haven't been active in a while.

CTamiLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CTamiLynn Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 11:33pm
post #15 of 17

I joined Curves about 9 years ago and stuck with it for a few months, but it became boring.

Has anyone here ever done the t-tapp workout? I've been doing it on and off for five years, but I've never been consistent with the workouts. I started back May 7th (they have a 60 day challenge contest each year), and I lost 15.75 inches in 60 days. During that 60 days, I did not change my diet and only worked out approx. 20 min per day/5 days per week.

If anyone's interested in it, they have videos on their website that you can try before deciding to buy any of their workouts. They also have lots of testimonials on there too. The website is http://www.t-tapp.com

Rachie204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachie204 Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #16 of 17

may i suggest spinning~ you can burn between 400-600 calories in a 45 minute class...I burned 512 my last class

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 11:25am
post #17 of 17

As a former professional athlete, I'd like to recommend checking out your area recreation center or YMCA rather than a "specialty gym" like Curves.

Often times the prices are comparable between the two, but with the rec center you get access to the same equipment and additional facilities (pool, bikes, treadmills, etc). Some rec centers also offer free or inexpensive classes for anything from yoga to pilates to healthy cooking. Some also have party/meeting rooms and you may be able to leave some business cards for people hosting showers or weddings there. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%