Problems With Mmf

Baking By kermitncupcake Updated 26 Jun 2010 , 2:47am by catlharper

kermitncupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kermitncupcake Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:44am
post #1 of 8

Now, I know it wasnt the recipe I used, because the MMF was really nice when I finished it and wrapped it.
A couple of days later, I went to roll it to put it on may cake, and it was so full of air bubbles that even as I was rolling it, bigger bubbles were forming between the table and the MMF.
It took me forever to get it rolled right, because everytime I got it the right size and thickness, when I went to put it on the cake it would stretch right out as I was trying to lift it (and it kept sticking to the rolling pin, so I couldnt do it like that either!) and was getting holes in it.

Once I finally got it on the cake, it had that many air bubbles in it that I ended up pulling it off and throwing it out!! Trying to smooth the bubbles out was creating a bigger mess, so I just gave up.
Does anyone know what I did wrong???

7 replies
yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 10:00pm
post #2 of 8

Did you knead the heck out of it before rolling out?

kermitncupcake Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:37am
post #3 of 8

I was worried about kneading it too much... Is that the trick?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #4 of 8

When making MMF it is really important to have the right amount of powdered sugar and knead it until it is silky smooth. (10 minutes by hand)

If you don't add enough p/s it will be too soft and will stretch and be a pain to use. I always suggest to people who have never messed with fondant to buy some wilton so you can see how fondant should behave....THEN make the MMF.

For me, I always need to microwave it for a few seconds before using it - it would be too hard for me to try to roll if I didn't do that. (it is very firm the way I make it after it has cured)

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 8

Like Loucinda said after it rests overnight, if it's kind of firm microwave a few seconds then knead real good before rolling out.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 8

I always have this problem too! When I knead by hand, I continue to put giant air pockets as I'm folding and kneading on the counter. Doesn't seem to matter how long I knead it for..... I just put more and more bubbles. Must be my kneading method - maybe I just don't do it quite right? Anyhow, my point, lol icon_lol.gif , was that if I pop it into my KA, with the dough hook (after resting overnight) to knead itself for 2 mins, it's perfect. Maybe that might help? Good luck!

kermitncupcake Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 1:18am
post #7 of 8

I dont have a KA unfortunately icon_sad.gif
I did put it in the microwave for abit before I kneaded it.... Maybe ill put it in the breadmaker LOL

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #8 of 8

Knead it into submission. This will also remove any "pock" marks that you might see. If you see the bubbles or the marks then you need to knead it even more. And, no, I haven't every kneaded it too much but have definitely kneaded it too little and had issues until I took it off my sheet and rekneaded it.

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%