Thinking Of Giving Up

Decorating By bakingpw Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm by Doug

bakingpw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingpw Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:36pm
post #1 of 3

I've been a pastry chef for 25+ years, owned my own bakery(ies) and have "lived the dream". Due to the economy, my bakery was forced to close this past January. My county won't allow at home bakeries and I'm not about to do retail again. I have TONS of stuff IF it would be legal for me to use it - but it's not. I did list my stuff on Craigslist but am torn between wishing no one calls and hoping I can sell. I am addicted to reading these boards, blogs and trade magazines, so clearly I'm not "over" cake decorating. Any ideas as to what I can do????

2 replies
jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 3

I can't sell cakes from my home either.... so I still make cakes, but for local shelters. so kids that wouldn't normally get a birthday cake can have super cool cakes. And it's totally legal for me to donate these cakes and it's a tax write off. So I can take care of my "need" for decorating cakes and playing w/ new "toys"... while playing within the laws and helping out someone else.
I do this through an organizion here called Birthday Cakes 4 free, or even Free Cakes 4 Kids. I'd suggest you check into that and see it might help you out.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 3

and time to put a push on the county for revision of cottage industry laws to allow for cake baking from home -- be politically active!

----

become the Charity Cake Lady -- create special one of kind cakes that can be donated -- clearly labeled as home baked in private kitchen -- for charities to have for events and to auction off. You get the tax write off, the satisfaction and they get the ability to raise funds (and of course you saved that list of former customers and can alert them to your charitable efforts)

----

enter competitions

----
teach classes

----

make all your neighbors and friends overweight! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%