Another Cake Stacking Question Using The Sps System--Experts

Decorating By cocobean Updated 24 Jun 2010 , 5:18am by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 7:09am
post #1 of 13

I am going to be making a cake that will be 14"x8" 10"x8" 8"x8". What is the best way to take avantage of the sps system in supporting a cake that size?? I have never used the sps system but have several sets ordered.
Any advice would be appreciated!

12 replies
cocobean Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 13

Did I mention the cakes will be stacked?

cocobean Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 13

Still hoping someone can help.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 13

I'm really not sure what you're asking...? Have you read the SPS sticky?

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 13

coco,
Do you want to know if the SPS works with rectangular cakes? I don't know if rectangular plates are available, but I bet leah_s knows!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #6 of 13

I think what cocobean is asking, is if SPS would work for the 8" tall cakes because they aren't the typical 4" tall height.

The answer is yes... just order the 9" multi-piece columns and cut them down.

http://bakerycrafts.com/Home/Items/tabid/69/SrchStr/column/Default.aspx

cocobean Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:54am
post #7 of 13

I guess there is a little confussion on what I need. CWR41 you are correct that the round tiers are 8" tall each. I think I was trying to figure out if I needed a separator plate every 4" for cutting purposes. Will it be o.k. to just put the 9" columns (cut down to 8") down through each 8" tier.

Is it going to work out cutting each serving piece each 4" tall from an 8" tall tier? We don't want the pieces themselves to be 8" tall. So would we HAVE to put a separator plate in the middle for cutting purposes? And if so, how would the sps system work then?

Hope I am explaining this o.k. icon_confused.gif

CWR41 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

I think I was trying to figure out if I needed a separator plate every 4" for cutting purposes. Will it be o.k. to just put the 9" columns (cut down to 8") down through each 8" tier.

Is it going to work out cutting each serving piece each 4" tall from an 8" tall tier? We don't want the pieces themselves to be 8" tall. So would we HAVE to put a separator plate in the middle for cutting purposes? And if so, how would the sps system work then?

You are correct! I think it's the better choice to consider the serving sizes that will fit on the serving plates. What SPS supplies have you already ordered for this?

I personally wouldn't have a problem with using a cake circle for every 4" of cake height along with supports. I was hoping that Leah S would see your post this morning to answer your SPS specific questions. Perhaps she has an opinion on this. I don't see why you couldn't use the SPS as long as the middle plate is 1" smaller than the cake so that you can't see the plate bulging out from the middle.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:44am
post #9 of 13

I thought you should use cake boards every 4". hmmm, could you dowel each tier throug the center, using cake board inbetween. and set on sps w/4 in. columns. The colums would sit on center board. And dowel down the middle of ea. tier (through canter board). I wouldnt want it to lean.
Hope this makes sense, i see it but hard to explain.

CWR41 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:54am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

i would just use 2 8 square sps plates, on the 10 x 8 i would center under doubled cardboard or better yet foamboard.

Where exactly would you use square plates? Cocobean didn't mention that any of the cakes would be square.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:59am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoser24

i would just use 2 8 square sps plates, on the 10 x 8 i would center under doubled cardboard or better yet foamboard.

Where exactly would you use square plates? Cocobean didn't mention that any of the cakes would be square.

Yep, your right, i read it wrong and edited....i was thinking rectangle cakes, not depth on measures.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:28am
post #12 of 13

Yes, you'll use an SPS plate and leg assembly in the middle of the cake. From the bottom up:
Bottom cake board
4" of cake in height. Place plate and leg assembly. (You will want a plate that is at least 1" smaller than the cake and frankly I'd do 2" smaller than the cake, but put the cake itself on the correct size **foamcore**. That will provide enough support for the cake, as it will be "hanging over" the SPS plate.)
Place next cake that's the same size as the bottom cake for a total of 8" in height. Put in SPS plate and leg assembly to receive next tier.

NO dowels. Throw throw bad things away.

Make sense?

cocobean Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 5:18am
post #13 of 13

O.K. leah_s your instructions are great. I am just such a visual learner I had to read them over and over and over, then finally draw myself a picture of the whole thing. I think I've got it now. But should I be glueing the sps plate and the foamcore together with royal icing or will the little pin hole over the little sps spike keep it from EVER shifting?

Also are you firm on the foamcore or could I use a cardboard round? I have both but I'd have to hand cut the foamcore. But if you are firm on that I will do it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%