Using A Food Saver

Baking By Lcubed82 Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm by ptanyer

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 18

I do not have, and have never used one of these. The 8" mini is on sale at Kohl's this week.

Do any of you use this device to package cookies? Do you use the FS bags? I have seen food/candy bags at Uline, etc- would these be usable?

I have seen/heard people use Impulse Heat sealers, would the FS be similar?

TIA for any input!

17 replies
linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:06am
post #2 of 18

I have used a food saver to seal cookie bags. I use the 1 mil from Uline. It takes longer because the sealer thinks it has to vacuum pack them, but it does eventually seal the bag. I invested in an impulse sealer and it was some of the best money I ever spent. It takes one second to seal the bags. I just wish I had gone the extra $ and gotten one with a cutter.

Here are a couple of other threads about sealing cookie bags:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608068-sealing.html+cookie+bags

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=586424&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sealing&&start=15

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=270933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=sealing&&start=15

HTH

Lcubed82 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you for the links! I have seen those impulse sealers, but was thinking the FS would be usable for other foods as well.

I guess I could get one to try, then return it if it doesn't meet my needs!

Add: Linedancer, what size sealer do you have? Is the 8" big enough?

linedancer Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 18

You are welcome. My impulse sealer is 8". It works just fine because I usually do not make cookies any bigger than 5 in. I can't tell you how wide the food saver is, it is in MI and I am in FL right now, and I just do not recall, you know how it is when you get older. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lcubed82 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:49pm
post #5 of 18

LOL, Linedancer! Thanks for the input!

rowingmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rowingmom Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 18

I love my food saver and I use it all the time. I can make big batches of SMBC and portion them off in cake size portions and freeze or refridgerate as needed. I also make my own lemon curd and ganaches and other fillings and can prolong their storage life. It has been invaluable.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:04pm
post #7 of 18

I use a regular food saver, I don't vacuum the air out of the bags, just seal them. I also use the regular wilton plastic bags for the cookies...I put it in the sealer, clamp the sides down and push the button...count 1....2....3....and stop it. If you go too long it will melt the bags instead of sealing them.

if you use real cello bags (they look kinda yellowish when they're in a stack and have a seam up the back) you can seal them shut using a curling iron!!

linedancer Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 8:38pm
post #8 of 18

I must have a different kind of food saver, cause no matter what I do, it thinks it needs to vacuum seal the bag, so that is why I don't like to use it. I too count 1, 2, 3 when it finally starts to seal, don't you just hate it when the bag melts icon_twisted.gif

KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:34pm
post #9 of 18

mine has a button for vacuuming and a button for sealing. So I can do either one or both to mine. I got it for $10 at a yard sale with 10 rolls of bags!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 18

I love my food saver. I start christmas baking in early November and use the FS to keep everything fresh. Works like a charm. Never thought to use it for treat bags though. Hmmmm.

You can buy FS bags that are different sizes precut but they are pretty expensive.

KHalstead Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 18

I wouldn't use the FS bags for individual decorated cookies though, you can't see through the bags well enough.

On a side note, you can get a roll of the FS bags at Big Lots for a couple bucks!

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 11:04pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

On a side note, you can get a roll of the FS bags at Big Lots for a couple bucks!

Good to know. There aren't many here but I do know where one is.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 2:19am
post #13 of 18

I LOVE my Food Saver and have had one for many years. In fact this is my 2nd one as I wore out the other one. I use my Food Saver for lots of stuff. I make my fondant, wrap it in plastic wrap and then put it in a large size FS bag and store in in the refrigerator - keeps for many months. I also put my left over gum paste in FS bags. When I want to use it I cut off the top edge right under the seal and then just keep reusing it until the gum paste is gone or the bag has become too small.

I also use it for regular food that I put in the freezer all of the time. I also use it for cheese - keeps the cheese fresh and mold free for a long, long time. I use the seal only feature on my unit to close snack bags like chips, pretzels, etc. Works like a charm.

If you want to freeze an item that is liquid or soft I put it into a Glad plastic container (make sure that the container size you are using will hold the frozen items when removed from the container) then freeze, remove from container and drop in FS bag, seal and throw back in the freezer.

My FS is one of the best things that I have ever purchased besides my Agaby. I prefer the FS bags over the cheaper brand. But do use the cheaper ones if I am just using it for short term and not going to reuse the bag. You can also turn bags inside out and put in the dish washer.

Lcubed82 Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 3:23am
post #14 of 18

I did go look at the Mini tonight. With sale and discount, it would only be 34 dollars. It looks like it has the vacuum and seal features separate, which for packaging individual cookies is ideal! The max width on the mini is 8". That should be good for the cookies, and for packing single servings of foods for storage. I will have to check Big Lots for the bags- Kohl's had a set of 3 8" rolls for about 20.00.

I would not plan to use the FS bags for the cookies, but cellophane or the treat bags.

Peridot, what size is your FS?

linedancer Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 11:33am
post #15 of 18

You got a great deal, KHalstead, I guess I will have to start looking.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 25 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #16 of 18

The model number of my FS is 2420 and it is a middle size. There is the small size and there is also one larger than mine. The one I have also holds the roll inside. My DH likes to use the roll but I prefer the bags.

The actual sealing area measures about 11 inches.

princess09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princess09 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:13pm
post #17 of 18

I just got a foodsaver V2840 Advanced Design, today was the first day I used it. I love it so far, but have only sealed up a few packages of walnuts and cheeses. I have both the bags on the roll and the precut bags, used the pre-cut ones today... thumbs_up.gif

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #18 of 18

I also have the Foodsaver V2840 (but mine is all black, bought from Sam's Club 3 years ago) and absolutely love it. It folds up to save counterspace. I use it for all kinds of things. Like previously mentioned, I also store fondant and gumpaste. When I finish a cake project I can make bags any size I need and store my different colors of fondant/gumpaste in them, put all the colors in a leftover fondant bucket and seal up and it stays fresh forever! That way I am not wasting product and have colors that I might only need a little bit of. Here's the link to the one I have: http://www.foodsaver.com/Product.aspx?id=c&cid=87&pid=245.

On a side note: this product also can be used to seal special containers that you can buy to use with it. I have several of them and use them to store buttercream in the refrigerator. Also store dried fondant/gumpaste flowers for future use.

Not to hijack the thread, but I also use it to freeze fresh strawberries each May so I will have them all winter long. I cut the tops off, freeze on sheet trays and then package up and seal. I can then open a package and take out what I need for deserts or just to snack on and let thaw and reseal. I also buy big packages of hamburger at Sam's club and cook it up with onions and spices, drain, let cool down and package it up in 1 lb bags and freeze. Makes a quick meal even quicker! I also make several meat loaves at one time, freeze them and then vacum seal. When I am ready to use one, I take it out, open the bag, put in in a casserole dish, thaw in the refigerator and then cook. Saves so much time!

HTH's icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%