Question About Bubble Gum Roses

Decorating By dianelin Updated 13 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm by Neakie

dianelin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianelin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 5

I made these a couple days ago, and they turned out pretty good. My problem is that with our high humidity & working the bubblegum into petals, it's not drying properly. The petals tend to droop and after 36 hours the gum is stickier than it was before.

I'm sure it's been discussed in the past, but could someone please give me some tips on this? I used Tootsie Roll Pops for the center, so they are fairly large.

4 replies
Dana62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dana62 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 5

I woul love to help you but I am a newbie too and I have never heard of bubblegum roses. Sounds interesting and I am anxiously waiting to hear the comments from other members. icon_eek.gif

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 5

I've never made them - sounds interesting. Maybe you could knead some tylose powder into the bubble gum so they dry harder. I do that with my fondant. Or even knead in some premade gumpaste.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 5

I was just going to agree and say Tylose. That's what a lot of people add to make their fondant dry faster/harder.

Neakie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neakie Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 5

I know I am late replying but I have recently started making bubble Gum Roses and thought I could give some ideas. I use Double Bubble Gum and you can not knead it i Smash it as much as I can then roll it through the pasta machine on largest setting and then go down to 3rd setting(no smaller or petals will wilt fast. I am now about to try bubble Gum tape and I am hoping it will work because it is not easy squishing that gum down enough to roll it. in the pics I have see they use the Roll Gum. Good luck Hope this helps
Neakie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%