Marzipan? Is Gumpaste Fine?

Decorating By Rylan Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 6:50am by Shalott

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 8

I've seen realistic fruits made of marzipan. I'm trying to make a cake with sugar lemons. Why is that many people prefer to use marzipan when making something like this?

I'm wondering if I can achieve a realistic look with using gumpaste. If you have any tips, feel free to mention. Thanks!

7 replies
Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 8

It just depends on whether you want to eat them or not - marzipan = yummy, gumpaste, not so much!

Marzipan fruits are a traditional delicacy in England and other parts of Europe so that is why they have probably ended up on cakes. I used to make them with my mother when I was young and it got me started on all things cake...

Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks a lot for the reply. So it is basically just a matter of taste?

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:51pm
post #4 of 8

I think so, if anything you can be a bit more refined with gumpaste so it would be more realistic (I'm speaking from my own skill level here - I've seem people do amazing things with marzipan but it always looks a bit "rustic" when I use it!)

Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks. Will definitely try tonight and see how it works--atleast now I don't have to worry about travelling 45 minutes just to get marzipan. Thanks!

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 5:27am
post #6 of 8

Haha...wonder where you saw those realistic marzipan lemons? icon_biggrin.gif Any time I've ever made fruit for a cake, the lemons or the cherries (and I am currently working on a cake that will feature apricots and plums) I have had much more luck with marzipan than with gumpaste. The gumpaste is almost too maleable, it fingerprints too easily and it loses its shape when you have to set it down to dry. For me taste is not an issue, I personally dislike the taste of marzipan as well as gumpaste. I also find that the base color of marzipan works well for fruit, it colors easily and lends itself well to be painted. PM me if you'd like any tips on lemons.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:44am
post #7 of 8

Marzipan has more body than gumpaste. It has a rougher texture to it and takes color in an interesting way. You'd just have to try it.

I make my own marzipan from almond meal, powdered sugar, corn syrup and amaretto liqueur. You can get the almond meal at the grocery store...here it ranges from $6/lb to $12/lb and there's no difference in the quality to justify the price difference. I use 1lb almond meal with a 2lb bag of powdered sugar, then the corn syrup and amaretto are added until it's a workable consistency, then seal it in a bag and let it sit overnight.

I wouldn't bother with marzipan for a display cake, though...I use it on cakes for my sister who likes to eat it.

Shalott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shalott Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:50am
post #8 of 8

My sister and I used marzipan on our Father's Day cake because: a) it tastes good and we wanted the little veggies we were making to be eaten, and b) I selfishly wanted us to give it a try before I used marzipan again on a cake I was making for a Regency tea. I thought marzipan would be more appropriate to the Regency period than the homemade mmf I usually work with.

Be warned, it's quite different from fondant/gumpaste, although not necessarily in a bad way. It's less stretchy, but it's easier to fix mistakes like unwanted cracks and indentations. Also, in my personal experience, it takes a lot more dye than fondant/gumpaste does.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%