Candy Melt Polka Dots

Decorating By punkiin Updated 23 Jun 2010 , 4:35am by redpanda

punkiin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkiin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 3:20am
post #1 of 8

Has anyone tried using candy melts for polka dots on a cake???? I bought a new candy melt polka dot tray and was just wondering if it would be easier and taste better than fondant.

Thanks
Cindy icon_smile.gif

7 replies
redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:27am
post #2 of 8

I have, but I didn't use a polka dot tray--I used a small round cutter before the chocolate fully set (but wasn't runny any more) to cut out the dots. The top of the cake had "Queen of the Jungle" animals done in chocolate transfers, so I had chocolate in the right colors. Each color was a different flavor, too. Everyone raved about the dots.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 7:41am
post #3 of 8

You can but I don't think it would "taste better than fondant". I'm not crazy about candy melts. If you're wanting something that "taste better than fondant" why not use modeling chocolate?

redpanda Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 12:14am
post #4 of 8

As someone who really doesn't like fondant (after trying Satin Ice, Chocopan, Wilton, MFF, MMF, and a couple of other homemade versions), almost anything tastes better than fondant to ME. I think whether something tastes better than fondant is really a very relative thing. Likewise, whether something tastes better than candy melts is a relative thing.

Isn't that pretty much the case with most foods, though? I've heard that some people even like red velvet cake, when to me it is one of the nastiest things around. (I taste red food coloring as very bitter/verging on metalllic, so putting that much into a recipe pretty much renders it inedible to me.)

Robin, what recipe do you use for modeling chocolate? I would love to try it, to see if I like the way it tastes/ease of preparation/ease of use. I don't know if the OP would want to try something other than fondant or candy melts, but I am open to alternatives.

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 8

redpanda....I use the Chocolate Clay/Modeling Chocolate recipe from this site. I believe it calls for 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate and 1/3 cup corn syrup. It's the best recipe that I've tried so far.

redpanda Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:59am
post #6 of 8

Thanks! I'll try it out. I try something new for every cast party cake I do for my son's plays, and I have one coming up. (Into the Woods...so probably modeled fairy tale characters.)

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:03am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

Thanks! I'll try it out. I try something new for every cast party cake I do for my son's plays, and I have one coming up. (Into the Woods...so probably modeled fairy tale characters.)

Ah...that sounds like a fun cake. thumbs_up.gif

redpanda Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 4:35am
post #8 of 8

It should be. In past years, I got to do Seussical and Beauty and the Beast, which were very fun. I did one for Phantom last year, with a hand-painted fondant mask, which was definitely a stretch for me.

Do you know if the modeling chocolate works with the white chips? That would make it a lot easier to make colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%