New Wilton Gumpaste And Fondant Class

Decorating By Donnabugg Updated 28 Jun 2010 , 2:05am by TexasSugar

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:53am
post #1 of 15

Hi there. Anyone taken this course yet? Did you like it? I've taken the first three classes and now I am wanting to complete the last one but I've heard some not so great things about it. Anyone have any feedback? Thanks!

14 replies
Donnabugg Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #2 of 15

Guess no one here has taken it huh? lol

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:41am
post #3 of 15

I signed up for it and it did not have enough people (only 2 of us) so they think it will be offered in Aug/Sept instead. I looked through the book and talked to my teacher who also taught the prior 3 classes. I think it will be a great class but I probably won't get to take it until Sept. icon_cry.gif

3mphval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3mphval Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:52am
post #4 of 15

I'm currently taking it now. I am the only one in the class, too. The other person who paid and signed up never showed up. Anyway, the "Wilton Way" requires following the book for each lesson for 4 weeks. You already know that, though. I am taking it at AC Moore because they had a special for the month of $10. If you have never made flowers before then yes I feel it is a great class to kick off a whole new world of cake decorating. If you've made flowers before OR have experience with gumpaste and fondant, I recommend buying the lesson plan and dedicating 2 hours a week for 4 weeks and doing it at home. My experience has been there was nothing I came across that the book didn't cover. Yes, there is value in the social aspect and there is a nice feeling knowing there is someone there if you get stuck, too, so if you like people and need some "me" time, go and enjoy!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:54am
post #5 of 15

2 years ago my husband and I both took the fondant/gumpaste class. There were 2 or 3 others left from a start of about 17 people. We had a ball in the class and got to learn some new things. I don't necessarily think it was necessary for us to take, but we enjoyed it and did learn more stuff. If they'd have had more classes we would have just kept right on going.

I can't comment on the new course classes though, maybe an instructor who posts in here can give you some more insight. I know I've looked at the course boxes and I wasn't too excited about the "new" designs and way of doing things that it looks like they're teaching. The roses on the box are just the rolled roses. While they are nice to know how to make, I do think they are just a fad. I'm much happier with learning how to make the actual roses. Once you can make those, the other are easy to follow.

Not sure I was much help, but that's my 2 cents.

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:33am
post #6 of 15

I'm also taking the class right now. This Thursday will be my third class. While I do like going to class, because it is my "me" time, I don't feel that it is actually necessary for this new class. For my other 3 classes, I was happy to have the instructor there to show us things that might have been unclear, but for this particular class, she really hasn't shown us anything. It seems like everyone has kind of broke off in pairs and is basically teaching ourselves out of the book. And the rose that we make in this new fondant/gumpaste class is the same one I learned in Course 3 last month. I love the calla lilies and daisies that we learned to make, but like I said, I taught myself out of the book in my last lesson.

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:46am
post #7 of 15

I am a WMI and there is no such thing as course 1, 2, 3 and Fondant and Gumpaste classes anymore. The new classes are Decorating Basics, Flowers and Cake Design and Gum Paste and Fondant. If you took the old courses there is some things that are repeated in the new classes but there is also new stuff in each new course.

zirconiag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zirconiag Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:55am
post #8 of 15

I am taking that class next month...I already bought the kit cos I have 50% coupon from Michaels. If you have some experience with flowers and gumpaste before prior to this, it is not necessary for you to take the class...is pretty basic. But I am still taking it, so that I will have the last cert - who knows, it might be useful icon_razz.gif

NerdyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NerdyGirl Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 2:59am
post #9 of 15

Just finished the third lesson yesterday. There are three of us (besides the instructor) and we've all been together since the very first class in the old Course 1. Huge social aspect, but we help each other out a lot. I've never done anything with fondant or gumpaste, so I've found it to be a very informative class. I'm gonna miss my ladies after Monday. icon_sad.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:04am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettymarysunlight

Just finished the third lesson yesterday. There are three of us (besides the instructor) and we've all been together since the very first class in the old Course 1. Huge social aspect, but we help each other out a lot. I've never done anything with fondant or gumpaste, so I've found it to be a very informative class. I'm gonna miss my ladies after Monday. icon_sad.gif

I agree, after 16 weeks of classes, we really hated to give up our night out of class. The social aspect of class was a big part of it, just being together, supporting each other, etc.

jenbug1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbug1 Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:26am
post #11 of 15

I am in the class now and loving it! I tried doing flowers on my own, looking at tutorials online but it was so overwhelming! I have learned so much in the class and already feel so much more confident in my gumpaste work!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 15

Since the new classes just came out in June, you aren't going to find anyone that has completed the course yet, everyone should be in the third of so week.

I taught Lesson 3 last night myself. My personal opinion is that if you haven't done any flowers, then it is a good basics class that can teach you some things to build off of. If you have the time and the money, then it would be a nice "me time" thing as well. Alot of my students are stay at home mom's so the class is there time out of the house.

Some will not want to do it again because there are some repeats, while others will enjoy the repeats since it gives them time to practice it again or maybe they had a little trouble with it the first time.

Below is a list of what is in the class...

Gum Paste & Fondant:
Gum Paste Flowers:
Rose (C3)
Calla Lilies *NEW*
Carnations (F/GP)
Daisies (F/GP)
Mums *NEW*
Covering a cake with fondant (C3 & F/GP)
Covering a cake board with fondant (F/GP)
Bow *NEW*
Fondant Eyelet *NEW*
Fondant Ruffle Border *NEW*
Ball Border (F/GP)
Embellished Rope Borders (F/GP)

Donnabugg Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 4:07pm
post #13 of 15

Texas,
I purchased the gumpaste and fondant kit about 6-7 months ago and then broke my ankle so I wasn't able to aattend the class. Am I going to be able to use this kit for the new class? I sure hope so because I can't afford to waste the money! :>

Thank you all for your input!

jenbug1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbug1 Posted 27 Jun 2010 , 5:00pm
post #14 of 15

Donnabug I don't have the old kit but my teacher said they have new things in the new kit that are not individually sold... Can you just exchange the old kit for a new on maybe?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:05am
post #15 of 15

There will be things in the new kit that are not in the old kit and are not sold alone. I'd say go to the store and look at the back of the box and see. Two things I know of are the mum cutter and the ruffle cutter that are not sold alone.

My personal opinion is get the kit with a coupon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%