Arg!!!!

Decorating By Tclanton Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm by Tclanton

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:31pm
post #1 of 15

I know we have all been here before, but why do ppl insist on purple cakes?

14 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 15

I don't know - but i am glad they do - it my most requestd colour.
Delivered a Purple and Mauve cutting cake and 2 dozen cupcakes yesterday for a b/day party.
The world would be mighty dull without it. thumbs_up.gif

I love how it goes with so many other bright colours....especially lime green.

Bluehue

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:54pm
post #3 of 15

Purple is a color just like any other, why wouldn't they request it?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 15

yeah, but purple fades so easily too and my idea of purple, eggplant, wine, lavendar, etc. are always different then theirs! LOL

UpAt2am Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UpAt2am Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 15

because purple is THE color of the year. lots of magazines are featuring purple in different shades...it ruled the catwalks last season (which means they'll hit the stores this year/season)...purple is just a hot color right now...next year it will be something different icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:17pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

yeah, but purple fades so easily too and my idea of purple, eggplant, wine, lavendar, etc. are always different then theirs! LOL

Do you use powdered colours?
Since buying them from either Squires or Blue Ribbons in the UK i have never looked back.
I mix the colour into my medium 24 hours before i need it - wrap in freezer bags - and allow to sit so as the colour explodes entirely - that way the colours won't fade.
Takes longer to mix into my medium - but well worth it.
Never gone back to gels or other liquid colours since buying powders 5-6 years ago.

UpAt2am
because purple is THE color of the year. lots of magazines are featuring purple in different shades...it ruled the catwalks last season (which means they'll hit the stores this year/season)...purple is just a hot color right now...next year it will be something different

icon_confused.gif Really -Purple (all shades) is the most requested colour i am asked for and has been in the last 5-6 years.

thumbs_up.gif to powdered colours.

Bluehue

Tclanton Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 15

Purple is one of my favorite colors, but I just cant seem to get the color right. And even though my cakes dont always show it, I strive to be a perfectionist. Purple is the color of the dinosaur Barney. Mine is either too light or looks blue.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 15

Hands down my favorite color! Although I did have a recent experience with a purple cake that caused my PANIC and STRESS beyond compare (there was a nice long thread of people calming me down!). icon_smile.gif

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 7:45pm
post #9 of 15

I had a recent scare, my purple icing turned teal?? in the piping bag by the next day, but luckily the cake stayed purple?? why is this and should i be afraid for the next time i make something purple?? th epink never faded...

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:05pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

I had a recent scare, my purple icing turned teal?? in the piping bag by the next day, but luckily the cake stayed purple?? why is this and should i be afraid for the next time i make something purple?? the pink never faded...

The one in the bag turned teal because the plastic absorbed the red out of the frosting...I have the same problem with my purple fondant. So frustrating cuz' I like to color a few days ahead, and I can't with purple, black, pink, red, ect. But I have found Americolor bleeds less then Wilton.

Tclanton Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 15

I only wish there was a perfect ratio for purple!!!

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:33pm
post #12 of 15

because of Barney...

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:10am
post #13 of 15

Unlike most posts here, I know just how the OP feels! My mother's favorite color is purple. So much so everything she buys, EVERYTHING, is purple. Purple pens, notebooks, tape, office supplies, shoes, clothes. Seriously, everything.

I can't stand the shade to this day. So it also doesn't help that most purple icings/fondant fades so quickly for me. But next time I need to buy some purple coloring I'm going with some high end stuff that won't fade. I'll pay the extra just for that peace of mind.

Tclanton Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:11pm
post #14 of 15

@ Vtcake - no, not just because of Barney - what I was saying that in my mind, that is the perfect shade of purple and I can never achieve it. All other colors have been easy for me, but purple has given me all kinds of fits. I will keep trying, because I dont give up, it is just frustrating to me.

@Rose - I wish that I had time to order off the internet some truer and more stable colors, but I dont have time at all. Between the date of the party and my vacation I am limited on time needless to say. I really wish I had more time, but I dont, so I will wing it again and say a prayer or two.

Please do not take my post as if I am a "purple" hater - I love the color, however it is never the shade that the customer has in their mind.

Tclanton Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 1:41pm
post #15 of 15

And the purple cake is finished and being delivered as I type - in the end I was pretty much pleased with the outcome.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1726981&done=2

Thanks for looking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%