Layering Colors For Cake Mix

Baking By mindy1204 Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 10:53am by bouncingbeardies

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 5

I love the look of this cupcake. Do I just layer the colors one by one? Will they mix?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1409381

Thanks in advance.

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 5

Cake batter is like lava .... not like Kool-Aid. 2 different Kool-Aid color, such as red and yellow, will run together and make orange Kool-Aid. Cake batter, like lava, is thick and won't blend together. It will lay on top (or beside or whatever). Have you ever made a marble cake? Those two flavors don't run together....... same concept.

lilerintron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilerintron Posted 24 Jun 2010 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 5

I make a batch of white then split it evenly between cups, depending on how many colors I'm doing. I then add food coloring, or wilton's gel color to the batter and mix it throughly. I then add each color. When I do a cake I take a flat spatula and spead it lightly so it covers the color below it.

I've done a rainbow cake this way, and today I made an electric pink and white cake.

If you don't want the colors to just sit on top of one another you can layer them like I stated above then take a toothpick, knife or fork and drag it different ways to make a design. With the cake I'm working on now I dragged the toothpick so that it looks like a flower on the inside.

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:22am
post #4 of 5

I've made several different cupcakes with layered colors-- including a red, white, and blue one. You just divide your white cake batter into however many different colors you want and layer them how you want into the liner or pan. The colors stay separate. I love doing this, because everyone is always so impressed when the see the middle of these!

bouncingbeardies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bouncingbeardies Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 10:53am
post #5 of 5

I've been having a terrible time getting nice vibrant colors. I've used Wilton and AmeriColor. Am I just not adding enough color?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%