Why Are My Cupcakes So Small??

Baking By IFancyCake83 Updated 22 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm by LindaF144a

IFancyCake83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IFancyCake83 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 6

I'm using these pans from Williams & Sonoma

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/commercial-quality-12-cup-muffin-pan/?pkey=ccupcake-muffin-pans

and my cupcakes are sooo small! I have to do 75 cupcakes for a party next month and I'm really worried that they will come out too tiny.

What am I doing wrong? Please advise and as always, thanks in advance!

PS- when i first remove them from the oven, they look full and fluffy...like a normal sized cupcake. Once they cool down, it's as if they shrink down to almost bite-sized cupcakes.

5 replies
CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 6

Is it possible your cupcakes are too moist? Sometimes excess moisture or fat can result in a "shrinking" cupcake. High amounts of fat or liquid are wonderful for a tender texture, but overdoing it can weaken the structure of a baked good to the point that it cannot support itself. When the steam escapes as it cools, then it is unable to maintain it's original shape and collapses back in on itself. This is less noticeable in cake layers since having them shrink from the sides of the pan is actually an asset. I have noticed this in my own baking particularly when using a recipe that calls for oil as the fat.

Without seeing your recipe I can't say for sure, but perhaps cut back on the fat or liquids a bit, or maybe add a bit of flour to increase structure. Either way it is likely the recipe and not the pan that is giving you trouble. HTH!

IFancyCake83 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 6

*CookieMakinMomma* If it helps, here is the recipe I used. They taste great!

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/12/cold-oven-pound-cake-do-not-preheat.html

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 1:48am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFancyCake83

*CookieMakinMomma* If it helps, here is the recipe I used. They taste great!

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2009/12/cold-oven-pound-cake-do-not-preheat.html

Having read this recipe, I would say there are dozen reasons why your cupcakes do this.

The short answer is to try other recipes and see if it happens. This recipe is such a unique way to make cupcakes (cold oven at 275 for one hour) that it alone could be how the batter is supposed to react when done.

There are plethora of cupcake recipes on the internet and books. If this one is not working to your liking, you can always find another.

IFancyCake83 Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks Linda F144- I found a new pound cake recipe to try and will see if the same thing happens!

I appreciate the help and suggestions!

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 22 Jun 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFancyCake83

Thanks Linda F144- I found a new pound cake recipe to try and will see if the same thing happens!

I appreciate the help and suggestions!

I'm glad I can help. I'm sorry if my last message sounded short. It always sounds better in my head. icon_wink.gif But then again, I get the nuance right in my head. icon_wink.gif

Good luck and post your results here. I am always looking for a good recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%