Holy Miscalculation, Batman! (Or "how Long Do I Have? .

Decorating By emiyeric Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm by emiyeric

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 10

So I wasn't really thinking, and I whipped up my cake batter to pour into two 10in round pans, and changed my plan at the last minute for what I wanted, and instead poured into my 8in square pans (which is 3 inches deep, so I figured I could just make them a little more generous than 2 inches tall for my square tier). Stupidly, though, I forgot I only have ONE 8in square pan!!! ARGH!!!!! DUMMY!!!

So, all my cakes are in the oven (I baked several tiers at once), and I have this leftover batter to pour into my 8-in square once the cake comes out of it and it gets the chance to cool. My question is the following: I've never had batter just sitting around to use, so how long will this still be good for me to use before it no longer rises (or does something else chemically funky)? I'm assuming I should keep it refrigerated? Does it need to be brought back closer to room temp before throwing it back in the oven? ARGH! Kicking myself!

Thanks for any insight. icon_mad.gif

9 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:22am
post #2 of 10

It'll be fine at room temperature for the (probably less than) hour it'll take to bake the first batch. I do it all the time and I don't detect any difference in the way it bakes.

I'm not sure that's the case if you refrigerate it. I'd bring it back to room temp. before baking it. If it's cold when you put it in the oven, it'll take longer to bake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:26am
post #3 of 10

have taken batter straight from fridge (still in KA bowl) to pan then to oven with no problem (other than doing it at 1a.m. ---argh!)

emiyeric Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:30am
post #4 of 10

Awesome! Very very good to know! They're about halfway through baking right now .... stupid stupid stupid! icon_wink.gif

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #5 of 10

There are a few pans that I only have one of a size for. I let the batter sit at room temp and give the KA a quick spin right before pouring it into the pan for baking. Never had a problem.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:35am
post #6 of 10

I'm a mix baker and I refrigerate leftover batter for days.

leahs is a scratch baker and I'm sure I read that she also refrigerates batter, but don't hold me to it .... I could be wrong and welcome a correction on that if I am.

emiyeric Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:37am
post #7 of 10

Hey, this could end up being a good thing to have done after all ... learn something new every day, huh? icon_smile.gif Thanks so much everybody!

emiyeric Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:38am
post #8 of 10

Ummmm .... not to be freakishly obsessive or anything, but that SHOULD have read, "Thanks so much, (COMMA!) everybody!"

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #9 of 10

Yep, I'm a scratch baker and definitely hold batter for a few days routinely.

emiyeric Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #10 of 10

Well, I do versions of the WASC, and it worked great! Now I know! And I will never stress about my timing again ... ha! So many headaches I could have saved myself. Thanks again, everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%