Fondant Help!!

Baking By BatterUpCakes Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm by lovenintheoven

BatterUpCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCakes Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 11:46pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to try to make marshmallow fondant. I don't know really what to do. I am new to cake decorating. So...do you have a good marshmallow fondant recipe? and do i need to put icing on the cake before I put the marshmallow fondant on? please help!

8 replies
sweetretreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetretreats Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:07am
post #2 of 9

You definattly need to ice the cake before placing fondant. I alwasy let the icing crust over a bit before placing the fondant. As far as a marshmellow fondant recipe, just do a search and experiment till you find one you like. everyone's prefercnces are different. When you buy the marshmellow to make the fondant I would buy the good stuff, it makes a big difference. The fondant keeps as long as the experation date on the bag says it does. There is also no need to refidgerate the fondant for storage. there is nothing in it that will make it go bad. i usually rub it with crisco and wrap it with plastic wrap. I place that in a covered container in the pantery. GOOD LUCK and HAVE FUN! icon_biggrin.gif

BatterUpCakes Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 9

okay thanks!

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 1:19am
post #4 of 9

There are good videos of fondant on youtube. I recommend being generous with the crisco and conservative on the powdered sugar. MMF is not impossible, just jump in with both feet and practice a few times.

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 4:16am
post #5 of 9

I am new here and to cake decorating too. Just to give it a try, I made this MMF recipe a couple of days ago:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/16228/buttercream-flavored-marshmallow-fondant

I decorated some shortbread cookies and got a feel for fondant. I couldn't find clear butter extract at the store and just used imitation butter flavor. I used regular vanilla instead of the clear. It came out good.

mustangsallii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustangsallii Posted 23 Jun 2010 , 1:15pm
post #6 of 9

My fav fondant recipe is 1 16oz bag of high quality marshmallows (as sweetretreats said, it makes a huge difference), 2 lbs of powdered sugar, 1-3 Tbsp water, and plenty of crisco.

Put marshmallows in a bowl with 1 Tbsp water. Put in microwave on full power 30 seconds at a time, stirring well between each time until melted. It usually takes about 2 minutes of cook time. Pour 3/4 of the bag of powdered sugar into the bowl with the melted marshmallow. Let the bowl sit while you generously grease your counter top and hands. Then use your hands to mix the marshmallow and powdered sugar together for about 30 seconds. Be careful because the melted marshmallow may be hot. Dump the mixture onto your greased counter top and pour the remaining 1/4 bag powdered sugar on top of it. From that point just start mixing and kneading with your hands. If you grease your hands well (all the way up to your wrists generously) the marshmallow won't stick bad. You may need to add a little extra water 1 tsp at a time. The fondant should be firm, but flexible. You want to be able to stretch it a little without it cracking or breaking. It will look like you're going no where for a few minutes and then it will start coming together.

Once you have perfected the art of mixing it (took me 3 or 4 times) you will be able to mix and immediately use. Until you get to that point it's best to make it, roll it into a ball, coat with crisco, cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit over night. That will help any small balls of powdered sugar dissolve. It is yummy and people actually request for me to do fondant cakes.

BatterUpCakes Posted 26 Jun 2010 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 9

thanks everyone who help me and replied! I made MMF and used it for a cake! Go look at my cakes and it's the pirate one! thanks again!

veghed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veghed Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:22am
post #8 of 9

What a cutie pie pirate.

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangsallii

My fav fondant recipe is 1 16oz bag of high quality marshmallows (as sweetretreats said, it makes a huge difference), 2 lbs of powdered sugar, 1-3 Tbsp water, and plenty of crisco.

Put marshmallows in a bowl with 1 Tbsp water. Put in microwave on full power 30 seconds at a time, stirring well between each time until melted. It usually takes about 2 minutes of cook time. Pour 3/4 of the bag of powdered sugar into the bowl with the melted marshmallow. Let the bowl sit while you generously grease your counter top and hands. Then use your hands to mix the marshmallow and powdered sugar together for about 30 seconds. Be careful because the melted marshmallow may be hot. Dump the mixture onto your greased counter top and pour the remaining 1/4 bag powdered sugar on top of it. From that point just start mixing and kneading with your hands. If you grease your hands well (all the way up to your wrists generously) the marshmallow won't stick bad. You may need to add a little extra water 1 tsp at a time. The fondant should be firm, but flexible. You want to be able to stretch it a little without it cracking or breaking. It will look like you're going no where for a few minutes and then it will start coming together.

Once you have perfected the art of mixing it (took me 3 or 4 times) you will be able to mix and immediately use. Until you get to that point it's best to make it, roll it into a ball, coat with crisco, cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit over night. That will help any small balls of powdered sugar dissolve. It is yummy and people actually request for me to do fondant cakes.

Giving this a try. Can I make today and use for Sunday? Want to do as much before this weekend as possible. Also, is it best to add color AFTER the fondant is made or during? Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%