How Far In Advance For Fondant Bow

Decorating By aprilblack Updated 21 Jun 2010 , 10:34am by aprilblack

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 5

OK, I am going on vacation for the week before the 4th.. Returning back the 3rd and my mom's birthday is the 4th and we will be having a party and I will provide the cake. How far in advance can I loop the fondant bow and leave out to dry for the cake? I am concerned if I loop the bow on the 3rd (it will probably be late that day) it will not be dry enough to assemble by the next morning... If I do it one week before the party, do you think it would be ok by the time I returned or should I take a different route?? Thanks so much in advance!! April

4 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 5

I would definitely make it several days in advance if your using strictly fondant. If you were using gumpaste or adding tylose it would help it firm up a little quicker and you might get away with making it the day before. I like to make things at least 4 days in advance to give adequate drying time or time for me to make again in case something breaks. Good luck!

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 5

I did this exact thing two weeks ago. I made one fondant bow and one gumpaste bow. The gumpaste was dry in a day basically. It took the fondant pieces about a week (5-6 days), and then assembled quite well.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 20 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for doing the experiment, KayMc. I've made a fondant + CMC/tylose bow as little as a day in advance and had it dry enough to assemble, but who needs that kind of aggravation when you're just getting back from a vacation and there's so much to do. Make the loops beforehand, April, and you'll be a lot happier. It's not like they'll get old or anything in the two weeks you're gone! Actually, if you could make it AND put it together before you leave, it'd be even better for you mental health.

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 10:34am
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone.. I am definitely gonna at least loop the bows.. I was just more concerned of the bow drying out or cracking in that time icon_smile.gif Thanks, everyone is a wonderful help as usual!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%