Do I Need This?

Decorating By rkei Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm by catlharper

rkei Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rkei Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 5

Do I need cakeboards, is it better than doing it on a plate? And I have seen these things at Walmart and at Michael's Crafts in the Cake decorating isle... it is like a cake decorating plunger it is called, I think. What in the world is that? Is it any good? Thanks.

4 replies
michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 5

I've never bought a cakeboard. Personally, I have always used a box cut down to size taped up securely and wrapped in aluminum foil and taped again. That's the only thing I've ever done for cake boards.

As far as the plunger thing goes, I know what a cutter plunger is. It is meant to use with fondant. Different shapes like flowers, leaves, hearts, etc. can be made using this. Personally, I've never used it but I may look into it because I just recently started dealing with fondant. It might make my work easier!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkei

Do I need cakeboards, is it better than doing it on a plate?

If you're talking about a cake drum, or board as a base, and you're going for a more professional presentation, I'd say "Yes" you need it. Even if you're covering your own stack of cake circles for a similar drum look, I'd cover them with colored foil or embossed foil rather than plain ol' shiny silver aluminum foil.

If you're talking about a "Wilton" scalloped-edge plate as a base plate, I don't like the look and it could crack if using under multiple tiers. However, there are many other plate options you may be referring to, like a crystal plate or cake stand with a pedestal base... those would look nice!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 5

If you are serving the cakes to your own family, then cakeboards are optional. If you are giving them to people outside yoru house, cakeboards are more convenient.

Cutting a cake on a plate can scratch and mar the plate.

If there is cake leftover, it is easy to remove the cake on a cardboard and return your plate, instead of you waiting to get your plate back because "There's still cake on it!"

Honestly, I can't imagine doing a cake that was NOT on a cakeboard.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:34pm
post #5 of 5

There are cake boards...like the type that go under the bottom tier of a cake and are at least a half inch thick and there are cake boards that are really cake circles of cardboard that go in between the tiers of a cake. If you are talking about the type that become the base of the cake then yes, for a professional presentation you will need these to pull it off. In fact, when doing heavy wedding cakes you will need cake drums which are made of thick wood you can cover with foil or fondant for a decorative look. This is needed for support of your cake while transporting. For family and friends I will often use one of my many cake stands (these can also be rented by Brides IF I am hired to cut the cake...then I know I'm getting it back<G>icon_wink.gif but when delivering a cake to a client it will always have either a foil covered cake board or a foil or fondant covered cake drum as the base. If you are talking about the type that go in between the tiers of cake then, no you can also use seperator plates instead of cake boards if you prefer. I actually use both at times for stability sake...the cardboard round under the actual cake then set that on top of the seperator plate for stacking. HTH...Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%