Afro Hair Help!!!!!!

Decorating By karenapple Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm by jayne1873

karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 2:00am
post #1 of 4

So, I'm making a cake with 3 figurine girls... for 2 of them I'll use the clay gun as they have straight hair. But the third one has afro hair. I have to make it in 2 fluffy pig tails.
I was trying with fondant but it's really hard to attach a round shape on the head (it would be the hair that's pulled). If i would get that done I would use balls of fondant for pthe pig tails and cover them with tiny balls to resemble the tiny curls and give the texture. But I just can't attach the "base" hair...
It would be better to do the base with pipped royal icing and the pigtails in fondant? all in royal icing? I don't want mess up because i know once I put on the royal icing, there's no way back as far as I know lolol newbie.
But I would like the hair to look all the same. I don't know if "head" in icing and pigtails in fondant would be possible to see that they're not the same material. Also I'm afraid of the head could fall because the neck is nof very stable. I made it not thick enough.
It would royal icing be lighter then the fondant?
Many questions....!!! sorry icon_razz.gif

3 replies
karenapple Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenapple Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 11:04am
post #2 of 4

anyone, please??

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 3:35pm
post #3 of 4

Royal icing is much lighter than fondant, may be the way to go if the neck isn't stable. Do you have spaghetti or a skewer stabelizing the neck? Not sure what you mean by attaching a round piece to the head?

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 4

I understand what you mean, the hair that is on the head and if scrapped into pigtails would be flat.
You could simply cut a small circle of fondant and try it on the head first, without using any glue (and assuming you have left the head to dry off a bit which you should) then you can easily take it off without it sticking if it doesnt look right. you could also then rough the hair maybe with a pan scourer to give it a more afro effect and maybe do the same with the pigtails rather then stick balls on.

Just my thoughts as I cannot pipe at all lol, hope someone else comes up with other suggestions

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%