Need Help On Figuring Out The Design Of This "vintage&q

Decorating By mjpbmf Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 10:03am by sweettreat101

mjpbmf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjpbmf Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:06am
post #1 of 10

My in-laws are having their 50th Wedding Anniversary in July. I have offered to take care of the cake for them. What they don't know is that I am going to try to recreate their original cake. The problem is that I only have this one grainy picture and I can't get enough detail off of it. I was trying to research "1960's" wedding cakes but can't find anything. If anyone can analyze this and/or make any suggestions as to what you believe the design is I would greatly appreciate it.
LL

9 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:20am
post #2 of 10

Hmmm... looks like a ruffle garland around the top part of each tier and some pink flowers along the garland as well. That one is a toughy!

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 10

have you tried to look thru a magnifing glass...I know those cake from the 50's and 60's were all icing....I had pink flowers on mine and the silver leaves..but do try the magnifing glass... might help. Look like a ruffle with a star tip...thin at the top and wider in the middle of the drop. Your right melmar02....that a tuffy... when you get it done please post a picture.. that will be quite a surprise for them.....good luck.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:34am
post #4 of 10

Kinda like this maybe...
LL

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:36am
post #5 of 10

If I were a Wilton instructor I would be happy to make inquiries for you to their archive dept. Maybe you could call them for assistance. Congratulations to your parents!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:37am
post #6 of 10

It is a toughy! I think it's a star tube dropped strings (or piped scallops) all the way around then another set that starts in the drop of each of those curves. Then some little dooeys at each intersection or in each blank spot.

The top I think is a generous sized star tip shell--straight up & down each one next to the other. See how the top tier is so much fuller around the very top edge?

And~ I think it's just the coolest that you're doing this!!! I love anniversaries where the wedding cake is duplicated.

Oh yeah--see mostly you wanna mimic the profile--that's mostly watcha got right?

I had a boss who would dictate the profile of the cake--she mostly only did a 2" graduation in tiers, like 10x8x6 Never 12x9x6 And cakes like the one in the picture back then were 3 or 4 inch difference in tiers for the most part. And you're not gonna get the profile right with willy nilly assigning the cake by a differend standard for servings.

So lemme go back & check that out.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:42am
post #7 of 10

I love those dolls, too! Any idea what happened to them?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:45am
post #8 of 10

So I'd say three to three & a half inch tall tiers that are three to four inches difference in size--14x10x6 maybe?

The top tier looks bigger than a 6 maybe it's a 7?

Have a great time with this!! How very special.

Iggy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iggy Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:49am
post #9 of 10

I recreated my cousin's in-laws cake. I had a black & white pic. I got a good magnifying glass and I was able to see daisies on the sides that were not visible without it. Try it & good luck!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 10:03am
post #10 of 10

I would take the picture to a photo lab like Target and crop the cake image and blow it up so you can see more detail. They have an instant photo machine where you can zoom in or out , crop add border etc and the print will only cost you about .27 cents. Takes only a couple of minutes. If you can't figure out how to use all the features on the machine the Tech will be glad to help you. I did this a couple of weeks ago with my daughters graduation pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%