Adding Chocolate To Buttercream

Baking By cakebaby59 Updated 18 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm by Babarooskie

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:46pm
post #1 of 8

Do you think I can melt chocolate chips and add it to already made (sugarshack) buttercream without ruining it?

7 replies
RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #2 of 8

Use cocoa powder to make chocolate buttercream. Sift it so it won't clump, and you can add it before or after you add your powdered sugar! Add a tsp. or two of milk or water if it becomes too stiff after adding the cocoa.

You can melt chocolate, but I've found it makes it too soft to decorate with.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobzC8kz

Totally disagree. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and always make chocolate bc by adding melted chocolate. I DOESN'T make it "too soft" to decorate with icon_confused.gif If anything it makes it stiffer.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

Totally disagree. I use Indydebi's buttercream recipe and always make chocolate bc by adding melted chocolate. I DOESN'T make it "too soft" to decorate with icon_confused.gif If anything it makes it stiffer.

I concur..... often so stiff it has to have more milk added to make it easy to work with.

(use the best chocolate you can afford. I use 8oz melted at least and up to 16 oz depending on just how dark I want the taste to be)

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 1:07am
post #5 of 8

I always add melted chocolate to sugarshack buttercream. I have never added to already made though, but I always add up to 3 bars of Ghirardelli to my chocolate buttercream. It gets real stiff so I add some milk and it is perfect.

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:38pm
post #6 of 8

How much chocolate are you all adding to Indydebi's BC? I tried it, but I must not have done it right! Soooooo...I switched to cocoa powder!!

I'm all about selling my customers on the gourmet, so if I can add this to my arsenal, even better!

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 4:50pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:

How much chocolate are you all adding to Indydebi's BC? I tried it, but I must not have done it right! Soooooo...I switched to cocoa powder!!

I'm all about selling my customers on the gourmet, so if I can add this to my arsenal, even better!

I add anywhere from 1/2 cup to a full cup, melted and cooled and, as above, a tiny bit more liquid as needed to thin it out. Depends on how chocolatey it needs to be. I use hi-ratio now, but before I used Debi's recipe and never had a problem with adding melted chocolate.

I have no idea why you would get softer buttercream after adding chocolate. It's solid at room temp, so it would retain that characteristic to a degree even mixed in buttercream.

Babarooskie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babarooskie Posted 18 Jun 2010 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 8

I, too, have problems with adding chocolate to BC and it becomes stiff.
Rather than using white regular milk, I always add chocolate milk to make sure the BC isn't light in chocolate color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%