Wood "grain" Look On Cake?

Decorating By RachelC Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm by cownsj

RachelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachelC Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:35pm
post #1 of 3

I'm making my husband a sushi cake and I wanted the top of the cake to look like a "wood grain" but not sure how to do it. I know the marble effect..but it's not the same..

Any suggestions?

2 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 3

I am making a baseball bat cake for this weekend and actually bought a wood graining tool at the paint store. I intend to paint (or airbrush) the color on and then use to tool to get the wood grain effect. I also know that you can buy impression rollers with the wood grain pattern on them. Check out utube for videos on this with paint, it is the same idea with fondant. HTH

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 3

Very easy. If you want it done in planks, first, using a pointed tool, make the lines in your fondant of the edge of the boards. (If you want one large plank, skip that step). Then, keeping within the lines of the planks make lines in the fondant to replicate the grains of the wood. If you want nail holes, use a #3 tip and push in (not all the way through) to make the nails. Then mix either ivory or brown color with vanilla or vodka and paint the board. Make sure to get more color into the grain to make that stand out a bit darker. If you aren't putting enough color, simply add more. If you have too much color, just wipe it off. Once you stop working in an area be sure to let it dry completely before going over it again as it will get sticky and messy if you go over it while it's drying. It's very easy to do, and once you begin you'll get the hang of it very quickly. It's actually fun to do. I'm attaching a photo of a board we did under the cowboy hat in our photos. Please let me know if you have any questions.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%