Bulge(I Think) Help...i Really Have Tried Everything...

Decorating By anasazi17 Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm by cakebaby59

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 15

Hello!

Ok, before I run to the nearest cliff and jump off I thought I would throw this out there. So, on my fondant covered cakes I can always see the layers, always. Here is what I've done: I've put a thick dam, thin dam, "cake spackle" dam, no dam, double thick dam...really every kind of dam possible and I continue to see the layer lines after putting on my fondant. Is my cake too soft? Should my fondant be thicker? I really feel like I have tried everything...I even trim everything up like in Sugarshack's Flawless Fondant DVD. I would appreciate any help or tips!!

Thank you!!!!

14 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 15

After filling your cakes how long are you allowing them to settle before icing/covering with fondant? Cakes settle. If they aren't allowed to settle before covering with fondant you will get a bulge. I do anyway. I also make a dam and use stiffened buttercream. thumbs_up.gif

anasazi17 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 15

Oh yes I forgot to add they sit over night with a stiff dam! ( I am a CC addict lol) Thats why I wonder...could my cake be too soft, not dense enough?

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 15

I would say roll your fondant thicker.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 15

do you have a photo example? maybe try a coat of ganache?

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 15

Is your cake cold when you cover it with fondant?

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 15

Have you tried ganache under the fondant? It dries more firm, and presents a smoother finish for the fondant.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:09pm
post #8 of 15

I just spent the last 10 minutes looking for bulges in your cake photos...I don't see a single one! I'm thinking if you can cover them that well, don't worry about themicon_smile.gif BTW, you do beautiful work!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 15

Ok, I looked at your photos and I'm not seeing a bulge. icon_confused.gif Is this a problem that you're just now experiencing? Are you using different pans than the ones you used for the cakes in your photos? I am thinking that maybe your pans don't have a straight edge? If you're damming your filling and letting your cakes settle then maybe the sides aren't straight?

Like I said the cakes in your photos show NO bulge. thumbs_up.gif You do very pretty work too thumbs_up.gif

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:34pm
post #10 of 15

and again...ganache! Works for me, I'm a complete convert. And tort your layers...the thinner the layer of filling, the less it wants to come out...right pros? I'm 99% sure...

anasazi17 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I have tried ganache one time and truly liked it. This has been happening for a while, and I have been wanting to switch over to ganache but just haven't yet. It all started with the Agbay...haha lol, don't get me wrong I love that little guy, but have been noticing it since I began to torte (maybe because there are more to notice icon_wink.gif). I also sit in a little shop all by myself and do these cakes so maybe I'm going batty!!

I don't chill or freeze my cakes...do you think this could help? I really appreciate your help...it is making me feel much better about these cakes I am currently working on!!!

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #12 of 15

No, putting fondant on a cold cake will make it worse.

tiggy2 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 15
KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 8:52pm
post #14 of 15

OK, I'm not seeing it either and your work is beautiful! Are you sure your glasses aren't too strong? icon_smile.gif

cakebaby59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby59 Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 11:02pm
post #15 of 15

I use sugar shacks method and it works for me...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%