White Frosting?

Baking By Tink_85 Updated 19 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm by BlakesCakes

Tink_85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tink_85 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hi i need to make white frosting/topping/icing for some cupcakes for a friends wedding but i don't know how to get it white?? do i use marshmallows??? recipes wud be great!! ((i'm from the uk! but i may b able to get some ingrediants! thanks)

4 replies
LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 5

You can make regular buttercream. If you use butter be sure to whip it until it is light and fluffy and almost white in color. Other wise just use shortening. For my recipe I do 1 lb of butter (or shortening) 2lbs of powdered sugar 1 tsp of vanilla and add milk til I get the consistency I want. You can add more vanilla or any flavoring you like.

sabriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabriana Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 5

I use Indydebi's icing - replace Crisco with Trex, Replace Dream Whip with Tesco whipped topping (like Angel Delight) vanilla flavoured and an icing whitener - There's loads of decorating sites in the UK that sell it. I personally don't like the Wilton whitener - it changes the consistency of icing too much. I use Sugarflair super white.

HTH

frosteddreamsbakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frosteddreamsbakery Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 4:29am
post #4 of 5

Use shortening instead of butter. Also, use clear vanilla extract or whatever flavor you choose, make sure it is clear.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Jun 2010 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 5

If your icing is off white, towards the yellow side, rather than adding a whitener, you can put a few DOTS of violet gel/paste color in it and it will result in a nice white icing.

You use so little, it doesn't change the consistency of the icing at all.

I do this because I prefer real vanilla over the clear imitation vanilla and during the colder months, I often use half butter and half high ratio shortening.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%