Perma Ice

Decorating By karateka Updated 17 Jun 2010 , 12:58am by karateka

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 6

Sorry, stupid question.

I am considering a bridal show and want to showcase a "buttercream" design. I realize that buttercream on a dummy for a show won't be practical...

Can I do a dummy in a buttercream effect, like basketweave? I've never used the stuff. Will it ruin my bags/tips? Can I color it? Pipe it?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

OOps...see that it is washable...so I guess it won't kill my tools? Any idea how far a gallon goes, and where I get the "non fading acrylic colors" to color it with?

5 replies
Sweetgurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetgurl Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 12:49am
post #2 of 6

I would just use Royal Icing. Get the recipe,( very easy by the way and very inexpensive) and test it out a few times to get comfortable with it. You can color it or anything else you want. To make roses, you need to add more powdered sugar to make it stiffer. Good Luck

karateka Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 1:10am
post #3 of 6

I was soooo hoping to avoid using that crap. RI hates me. And icing it smooth is a royal PITA, if you'll excuse the pun. Might work out all right if I just basketweave......but otherwise....GAH!! (hair pulling emoticon here)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 6

Indydeb talks about icing dummies in a basic decorator's buttercream all the time. She says that it dries very well.

No need to use butter or flavorings--pretty much just crisco and PS with a bit of water to get the consistency you want.

That PermaIce is really expensive--not to mention the cost of acrylics to use to color it, etc.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Rae

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:21am
post #5 of 6

I have used BC on dummy cakes before and it is just fine. Like mentioned above don't worry about adding any flavorings as it won't get eaten, but i definitely think it's cheaper than buying permaice. Plus when you want to change the dummy you just wash it off (if it's been on there for months then just let it soak for awhile and it comes right off)

karateka Posted 17 Jun 2010 , 12:58am
post #6 of 6

Hm... I guess I'll give it a try.

I tried to do a dummy in an all shortening buttercream once and it was crusting far too fast and wouldn't smooth and it was a horrible disaster. (see the square cake with pillars and the owl wedding couple on top in my photos)

But I'll try it again. I wasn't using Sugarshacks recipe back then, so I guess that was my problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%