Topsy Turvey Servings

Decorating By Rachel8648 Updated 16 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm by Rachel8648

Rachel8648 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel8648 Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:42am
post #1 of 7

I have to make my 1st topsy turvey cake, could someone please tell me serving sizes for a 6", 8", 10", 12" 14" and a 16". If you have any hints/tips on how to make one please advise. Thanks!!

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 3:37am
post #2 of 7

Great topsy turvy tutorial by BKeith
http://cakecentral.com/articles/6/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-whimsical-cake

Not sure if you're looking for serving sizes for 4" tall cakes or for 2" tall cakes with allof those sizes you listed. As what you listed would make a really tall stacked cake for a lot of people. But here is a good chart for serving sizes.
http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 4:10am
post #3 of 7

I was just wondering about this question the other day...with a topsy turvy or sculpted cake, sometimes you carve away a good deal of the cake - then it won't really give the same amount of servings that you originally baked... --- how do other bakers figure servings for sculpted cakes?

leily Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKristy

I was just wondering about this question the other day...with a topsy turvy or sculpted cake, sometimes you carve away a good deal of the cake - then it won't really give the same amount of servings that you originally baked... --- how do other bakers figure servings for sculpted cakes?

For topsy turvy it depends on how you do it. If you follow the tutorial that was given you're starting with three 2" layers, so by the time you do your carving you're going to end up with a few more servings than the serving chart actually says, but that is why most people charge a higher price for the topsy turvy (plus the additional time you have in it)

Rachel8648 Posted 15 Jun 2010 , 2:57am
post #5 of 7

how much extra would you charge for a 3 tiered topsy turvey cake compared to a regular 3 tiered cake then? that was a really great tutorial... thanks so much for sharing, I had no idea they were so much more work... I can't wait to try it!!

leily Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 2:39pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel8648

how much extra would you charge for a 3 tiered topsy turvey cake compared to a regular 3 tiered cake then? that was a really great tutorial... thanks so much for sharing, I had no idea they were so much more work... I can't wait to try it!!

My price per serving for topsy turvey is 50% more than my standard cake. I am using more cake and have more time invested so they get charged more.

Rachel8648 Posted 16 Jun 2010 , 4:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%