How Do I Make Gift Cakes?

Decorating By AngelinaMomof3 Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 11:55am by AngelinaMomof3

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 5

I have a large order for 2 sheet cakes (simple) but 9 individual cakes that need to be covered in fondant and decorated like individual presents. My question is. If I'm cutting a sheet cake into the 9 cakes how to I frost the cut side without pulling the cake apart? Is it ok to freeze the cake, cut it then buttercream it while frozen and then thaw it to cover in fondant? If so how long do I let the cake sit at room temp before adding the fondant? I've done cakes before but never individual and if I boy a 4x4x2 pan I'll need a bunch of them so that I'm not baking 9 separately. At $7 a pop I don't want to purchase them just yet.. Thank you to anyone that gives me some tips on this. It's not due until the 26th.

4 replies
schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 3:12am
post #2 of 5

I think all you need is a good crumb coat. Can you do it while the cake is frozen? Eh, I wouldn't. I'd just cut, crumb coat, then stick it in the fridge. After it's cold, top coat and put on fondant.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 6:13am
post #3 of 5

thin your BC down a good bit for the crumbcoat and you wont destry the cakes putting it on...

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:48am
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I didn't want to make any whipped frosting cause I figured it wouldn't hold up the fondant. I'll probably make a test cake just to try.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 11:55am
post #5 of 5

Holy typos! Probably should of spell checked..lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%