Do I Mention This To The Customer?

Decorating By BosCakes Updated 13 Jun 2010 , 1:31am by KayMc

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:31am
post #1 of 7

I think the batch of Satin Ice I bought escaped quality control...I normally have no trouble at all, but this time it's AWFUL!! Embarrasing, even. I don't have time to wait for the cake supply to open before I have to deliver the cake..do I offer a discount or just wait to see what she says? I'm a little nervous my name will be on this...

6 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:38am
post #2 of 7

Do you have a pic?

I finally switched to FondX to cover my cakes...I prefer Satin Ice for drying decorations but alot of us have been finding Satin Ice just isn't cutting it anymore. Not sure what the problem is.

VickiChicki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VickiChicki Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 1:56am
post #3 of 7

I have to agree - Satin Ice turns into "elephant skin" too quickly and when trying to cover square cakes recently it cracked on the corners EVERY TIME. Very frustrating. I discovered the FONDARIFIC (which is the product Michael's is carrying with DUFF'S name on it now) but I order it wholesale out of Savannah, Ga. I cut it 50/50 with Wilton fondant bought with a 50% off coupon to make it all more afforable and I am now in FONDANT HEAVEN! It performs beautifully and even makes the Wilton Fondant taste good! I have covered two HUGE wedding cakes with it now and both looked fantastic - the best and smoothest fondant coverage I have ever experienced.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 2:12am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiChicki

I have to agree - Satin Ice turns into "elephant skin" too quickly and when trying to cover square cakes recently it cracked on the corners EVERY TIME. Very frustrating. I discovered the FONDARIFIC (which is the product Michael's is carrying with DUFF'S name on it now) but I order it wholesale out of Savannah, Ga. I cut it 50/50 with Wilton fondant bought with a 50% off coupon to make it all more afforable and I am now in FONDANT HEAVEN! It performs beautifully and even makes the Wilton Fondant taste good! I have covered two HUGE wedding cakes with it now and both looked fantastic - the best and smoothest fondant coverage I have ever experienced.

thanks for that tip, I'm gonna try it. I like Wilton & use it for most of my fondant decor (not covering cakes which I don't do often anyway) because it's smooth & dries firm very quickly. Totally agree SI is so elephant skin, annoying! I'm gonna try the 50/50 Wilton/SI to cover a cake though.

BosCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BosCakes Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:06am
post #5 of 7

I didn't take a picture of the bad side, but i posted a picture of the final cake (not sure how to post it in this message) it's the hot pink cake with the bow on top.

I didn't even think to cut in wilton fondant! that's a great idea..still have not tried any other brands besides SI and wilton...this week i'm going to try making my own to save the most money (and hopefully make it taste delicious)[/img]

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 12:31am
post #6 of 7

There was a thread recently about the fact that Wilton fondant actually tastes ok now and it's TRUEicon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif I tried it a few weeks ago and was thrilled with the taste AND the ease in use of iticon_smile.gif

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 13 Jun 2010 , 1:31am
post #7 of 7

Luvmysmoother, have you ever tasted Fondarific (aka Duff)? I was wondering how the Wilton compared in taste to the Fondarific. I am totally in love w/ Fondarific, but I don't like paying for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%