How To Resurrect Dried Out Fondant?

Decorating By Motta Updated 14 Jun 2010 , 2:47am by soledad

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 9

I overworked about 2 lbs of fondant that I had tinted a perfect Tiffany box blue. I couldn't get it to roll out without cracks. I really want to use it but it's still dried out from yesterday. I put it away in a plastic bag to help retain any moisture left.

Is there any way I can still use it by adding shortening or heating it? I'd like to know before I try something and ruin it completely. TIA!

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 9

I would take a small amount and add crisco to it to see if that helps. If it does then you can add it to the rest of it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 9

Yup, microwave it to soften it up then just keep kneading in the crisco till you get the right texture.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 9

I am new at this, but when it happens to me I usually do as TexasSugar says I also use crisco little by little but if is not good to cover your cake maybe you can use it to do some decoration for later projects.I know 2lbs is a lot but try to get lemonade from lemons thumbs_up.gif . Good luck! icon_smile.gif

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 9

You can kneed in some glycerine too - just a few drops at a time and work in small batches. Once the batches are back to life combine them and reroll.

SunshineSally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SunshineSally Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 9

break it up into smaller batches, coat the outside of each batch with a thin coat of glycerine, zap each "batch" in the microwave individually (I do 10-12 seconds) and knead it until it returns to it's normal consistency. I have used this method to recover a rock hard piece of fondant and it worked like a charm!!! Just remember after kneading each batch to put it in ziploc until you get the others all done then you should be able to combine all of it together! HTH!!

Motta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motta Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you everyone!!!! I have hope!

I'll try the Crisco thing first using reheating as well. If that doesn't work, I'll have to go buy some glycerine. I'll post after I try these methods.

CBMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CBMom Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 9

After you take it out of the microwave, be VERY careful of hot spots while handling it again.

When trying to bring back a larger chunk of it, I rub a coat of shortening all over the whole thing, wrap some saran on it, and zap 8-10 seconds at a time, flip over, and zap again.

Don't put it on a glass/pottery plate either - the plate can REALLY heat up.

Oh, and don't put the newly heated fondant on your Fondant Fun Mat, or Roll and Cut guide....the heat can make the mats get all funky icon_smile.gif

Can you tell I need to invest in some new airtight containers?? LOL

Have fun - it will come back icon_smile.gif

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 14 Jun 2010 , 2:47am
post #9 of 9

I did not know about the glycerine icon_surprised.gif Thank you everybody!So far crisco has worked for me, but will get some glycerine just in case. icon_smile.gif
CIAO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%