Question About Starting Home Based Business

Business By lvspaisley Updated 12 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm by lvspaisley

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:33am
post #1 of 5

For those that are doing cakes/cupcakes in your home, I have a few questions. I don't do a lot of cupcakes or cakes, but my friends are running me ragged some weeks with kid's bday parties etc. They all rave about how good my cupcakes are. I can't sell them w/o a license, so I am doing it for free and it's a little more time consuming than I thought and I don't feel I can continue to do it for free.

I live in TN, where home-based bakeries are legal. Do you have to have liability insurance, is it really considered a "business" because I don't want to open a business, I just want to get paid for my hobby on occasion. Also, I have a dog and a cat, but I put them in the master bedroom when I'm baking and my house is super super clean.

Tell me about inspections, what you have to have? Is it worth it or do I just keep doing it for free?

4 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:00am
post #2 of 5

I don't know about TN but some states don't allow you to have a pet in the house at all. I would imagine that liability insurance is a necessity. You can call your local state office and they will tell you what you need to start your business. thumbs_up.gif

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:15am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspaisley

, is it really considered a "business" because I don't want to open a business, I just want to get paid for my hobby on occasion.

as soon as you start receiving any compensation for your product you're in business. Doesn't matter if it's a gift card, trading services, or getting cash.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 9:46am
post #4 of 5

Check with your homeowners policy & see if you can add your business there. It's simple quick and not much more in cost.
Call the TN department of Ag & the Dept of health & check with them .. it is always best "to get it straight from the horse's mouth"....

As for being worth it only you can tell that in time. I am happpy & still love my business 8 years later :0)

lvspaisley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lvspaisley Posted 12 Jun 2010 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for all of your replies. I appreciate the advice and suggestions. I suppose I will just remain a hobby-baker. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and have to work at my own pace since my hands get so sore...I doubt I can afford to start an actual "business" as I make only a few cakes a year, more cupcakes than anything for my friends and family. Someone asked me today to do a cake and I don't know her that well so I told her I couldn't. I can't keep doing it for free unfortunately, but I understand I can't charge either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%