Does Anyone Order Plain Cakes Anymore?

Decorating By anasazi17 Updated 11 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm by sexy_baker

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 10 Jun 2010 , 11:53pm
post #1 of 6

First off, I have to say that I am truly grateful that I am able to do my "dream job" every day and I sincerely appreciate every order that comes in...honest. But lately no one wants a pretty birthday cake, or a plain ole cool cake. Everyone wants a Duff/Cake Boss/Ultimate Challenge cake. I love what the shows are doing for the business but lordy I am just one gal!!

Today I worked on a 3D Mickey's Playhouse, a shoe, a purse and took orders for a cake designed after the t.v show "Minute to Win It", a ballet slipper, and a dog bowl (lol). I love a challenge believe me...but this girl is tired. I've been stressing out about Mickey's ears all day so I decided to come in, vent to my lovelies on CC and have a glass of wine.

Wow...not sure if the vent helped or the wine is kickin' in but I feel better!!!

Mwah!

5 replies
GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:15pm
post #2 of 6

Yeah, a little bit of knowledge can be deadly! They all watch those cake shows on TV and no more hum-drum cakes for them! But I wonder....do they realize how much money those professionals get for their cakes? Watch their eyes pop open wide when you tell them that Duff's cakes START at $1,000.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 12:31pm
post #3 of 6

Yep, I always tell them what Duff and everyone else charges. Besides, Duff raised his starting price for his smallest creation to no less than $1500!!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

yes, some people still want just basic cakes. Especially when I tell them.. ahh you saw that on the cake challenge.. well you can start by making MY 10,000 dollar check out to... that usually cures their give me a challenge cake...for pennies attitude. It may sound mean, but i consider it tough love and a sound reality slap.

Seriously.. many brides are like little kids watching commercials at chrismas.. I WANT THAT.. And that!! and that !!! with no concept of the price !!!

sorry.. was starting to get on my soap box.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:00pm
post #5 of 6

Oh and then they want the cake to taste good too-have you ever noticed some of the overbaked cakes they're using on TV so they don't have to worry about shifting?? And the massive hunks of fondant?? They don't show all the prep work prior to the show, planning,....
I had a friend that did one of those shows--2 of the decorators didn't finish their cakes on the 8 hours allowed, so they let them have extra time so they had a cake to present..

sexy_baker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sexy_baker Posted 11 Jun 2010 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 6

Some people still do especially if their budget is limited and when there's only a short time for it to be done.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%